Senior Cybersecurity Engineer
The Aspen Institute, founded in 1950, is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering enlightened leadership and open-minded dialogue. Through seminars, policy programs, conferences and leadership development initiatives, the Institute and its international partners seek to promote nonpartisan inquiry and an appreciation for timeless values. The Institute is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has campuses in Aspen, Colorado and on the Wye River on Marylands Eastern Shore. Its international network includes partner Aspen Institutes in Berlin, Rome, Lyon, Tokyo, New Delhi, and Bucharest and leadership programs in Africa, Central America, and India.
The Senior Cybersecurity Engineer is responsible for the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of all information security systems owned or operated by the Aspen Institute. These responsibilities include Firewall/IDS/IPS, SIEM, VPN, antivirus/malware, vulnerability management, encryption, DLP, CASB and cloud security in SaaS/PaaS/IaaS environments. Participates in supporting network access and authorization infrastructures and services including NAC, SSO, MFA, as well as endpoint device security and user security awareness training. Coordinates activities of managed security providers and similar cloud-based services, including threat intelligence, centralized logging, and incident response as well as third-party management.
Secondary responsibilities include assisting with, and serving in a backup capacity for, essential network administration functions, ensuring that critical network infrastructure components are properly functioning while primary administrators are absent. This includes basic administration of LAN/WAN/WLAN device hardware and configuration, VLANs, internal and external routing protocols, DHCP/DNS and other core network services/applications as well as coordination with managed network services providers.
Works with technology management, system administrators, consultants, and vendors to build, configure, test and implement security solutions that meet the organizations business needs and are aligned and consistent with corporate security policies, enterprise IT strategies and plans. This role will take ownership of appropriate incident tickets and service requests and work with end-users and ITS staff for resolution/fulfillment. Additionally, the position will participate in on-call support rotations for non-business hours.
Primary Mission Accountabilities:
All Aspen Institute employees are expected to embody the Institutes core mission, stated above. The primary aspects of the mission for which this position is held accountable are:
- Develop and utilize innovative problem-solving techniques
- Foster a culture of excellence in all aspects of his or her work
- Treat all clients with respect.
- Promote a collaborative, teamwork-oriented environment
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Infrastructure & Endpoint Security (70%)
- Engineering and administration of all network security hardware and software including firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention, information/event log management/analysis, antivirus/malware, access control.
- Design, implementation, and management of security configurations at the host, service, storage, and database/application layers for both on-premise and cloud-based environments, including server/device hardening, configuration file management, encryption, auditing and monitoring.
- Design, implementation, and management of all secure data connections to third parties including network design, encryption, access control, and auditing.
- Design, implementation, and management of workstation and mobile security including encryption, security templates/scripts, antivirus/malware, host firewall and intrusion detection/prevention, application control policies, data loss prevention, and remote wipe/anti-theft controls.
- Design, implementation, and management of on-premise and cloud/SaaS application security including application patching and hardening, access control and identity management, security assessments and audits.
- Participation in designing and delivering secure remote access to employees via VPN, including client/clientless access and multi-factor authentication.
- Participation in risk and security assessments of new and existing applications developed by internal teams, third parties, or COTS providers.
- Participation in user-centric security programs including password cracking, phish testing, and security awareness training.
- Participation in LAN/WAN/WLAN and Internet edge security including traffic analysis, DDOS, secure DNS and email, partnerships with ISP and CDN.
- Participation in system performance analysis, system instrumentation/management, and change management activities.
- Leadership of troubleshooting and resolution activities for all major security incidents and outages, as well as mentoring/training of junior personnel in lower-level incident management.
Vulnerability Management & Incident Response (20%)
- Administration and engineering of vulnerability management programs including scanning, patching/remediation, and penetration testing.
- Leadership of formal and ad-hoc computer emergency response and incident response teams, including tabletop exercises and disaster recovery testing.
Network Infrastructure Support (10%)
- Participation in network design and architecture meetings, ensuring that security policies and best-practices are properly integrated and scalably managed alongside regular network operations.
- Assistance to network engineers and administrators during staff absences, significant organizational events, and major incidents/outages.
The Senior Cybersecurity Engineer interacts routinely with all members of the ITS team, Aspen Institute staff, and visitors to the Institute. The position will informally mentor junior ITS personnel to help build troubleshooting/problem-solving skills. In addition, the position will be expected to provide regular day-to-day as well as some project-based guidance to managed service providers or other external resources.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent experience. CISSP, CEH, SANS GSEC and other relevant certifications a plus. ITIL v3 certification a plus. Experience working for non-profit organizations a plus.
- Minimum of seven years experience with network security engineering/administration as well as implementation of appropriate data/host-based security layers within a heterogeneous computing environment. Comfortable working towards cloud-first/consumerized technology environments and integrating Apple products into enterprise security programs. Experience with responding to security breaches and other outages including proactive risk mitigation, incident response, and forensics. Background with Windows, Linux and open source tools, as well as active security community participation.
- In-depth knowledge/experience with enterprise security systems administration and engineering, particularly with products from Cisco, Microsoft, Palo Alto Networks, Watchguard, SonicWall, and others. Strong experience with securing on-premise infrastructure using products from Cisco, Aruba, VMWare, Dell as well as cloud infrastructures and services, particularly Microsoft Azure. Strong experience with securing endpoint devices including Windows, Mac OS X, Chrome, iOS, Android as well as IoT Carbon Black experience a plus. Familiarity with messaging transport security (SPF/DMARC/DKIM), cloud-based security tools including Okta, Cloudlock, Bettercloud, and working with managed service providers/products including Rapid7.
- Solid fundamentals in TCP/IP networking and protocols as well as basic network services including DNS, DHCP, ntp, snmp, syslog. Familiarity with Cisco command-line, web interfaces, and general networking concepts/architectures. Familiarity working with Internet and telecommunications services providers.
- Ability to function in a dynamic environment subject to changes in schedules and priorities. Ability to participate in multiple projects concurrently from inception to completion with limited management supervision. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to interact positively and productively with teams across organizational lines. Strong customer service, troubleshooting and problem solving a must.
Physical Requirements & Work Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to performthe essential functions. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl in tight spaces. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy packages and boxes (up to 50lbs).
This position will additionally require travel to the Institutes remote campuses with extended durations up to two weeks.
Level of Authority:
No direct reports
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidate must also have the ability to meet the regular attendance policy of the Aspen Institute.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/3qdfq5969vxb3r3p