Budget & Accounting Manager
**To officially apply please complete an online application at: www.takomaparkmd.gov/hr/careers**
The City of Takoma Park is seeking a self-motivated Budget & Accounting Manager to perform specialized duties related to the preparation, management, and accuracy of reports, financial information, and the City’s annual budget. This full-time position reports to the Finance Director, and is an integral part of a 5-person Finance Team, working closely with each of its members. This position will assist the Finance Director with management of accounting functions. The starting salary for the position is competitive and commensurate with experience, generally falling into a salary range of $73,149 to $85,585. This position is not subject to union membership.
- Assists with the preparation of the City’s annual budget package, including: the Capital Improvement Plan, financial data analysis, and narrative reports. Reviews and edits budget submissions for reasonableness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and guidelines;
- Responsible for preparation and submission of the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award and GFOA Detailed Criteria Location Guide submissions, or other annual submissions;
- Assists the Finance Director with budget amendments, ordinance development and submission, and system input;
- Oversees and provides back up support for all payroll functions, quarterly filing of 941 taxes, and end of year W2 and 1099 tax reporting;
- Oversees and provides back up support for Accounts Payable functions, including requisition entry and approval, and payment packet review and approval in the absence of Finance Director;
- Reconciles Equipment Replacement Reserve (ERR) at year end and during budget preparation;
- Assists Finance Director with work process improvement project and implementation;
- Prepares and formulates budget documents, prepares tables and graphs, computes percentages, formats reports, ensures accuracy and consistency of budget amounts in budget worksheets, the budget document, and the City’s ERP ;
- Prepares quarterly financial reports and provides variance analysis for review by the Finance Director in timely manner;
- Performs daily review of bank accounts; funds transactions; prepares and adjusts journal entries; maintains journal entries and continuity of assigned journal entry numbers;
- Responsible for the timely validation and collection of all bank account reconciliations from the Finance team members;
- Assists the Finance Director with the tracking of revenue receivable and expenditure output;
- Assists the Finance Director with the year-end closing process: AP accruals, payroll accruals, and all asset and liability account reconciliations;
- Assists the Finance Director with the preparation of Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports and all other related schedules;
- Reviews daily cash receipt reports and performs the verification of recorded cash receipts to validated bank deposit tickets. Generates necessary adjusting entries to correct mistakes in the daily cash reports;
- Assists with the review of recorded transactions for accuracy and budgetary compliance; and,
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field;
- Minimum of 2-3 years of previous work experience in finance, accounting, and/or budget preparation and analysis, or related field; experience using accounting and/or financial software to enter, monitor, and analyze data and produce financial reports;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years of experience or service;
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience managing or supervising employees or work functions;
- Ability to be bonded; and,
- Preferred prior experience in a governmental agency or unit responsible for finance, accounting, and/or budget; or a related field.
The City offers an excellent benefits package, including: participation in the Maryland State Retirement program; 457(b) plan; premium-free health insurance for single coverage; tuition reimbursement, and much more. This position is not subject to union membership.
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.
**Only official applications submitted via the City's Job Portal will be considered!**