Bus Driver Part Time
Bishop Ireton High School seeks a 20-hour a week, part-time Bus Driver. The position is responsible for driving students on field trips, to sporting practices and events, and to/from local transportation hubs. The Bus Driver is a member of the Operations Department. This is a part-time, 10-month position reporting to the Director of Operations.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
● A commitment to maintaining the property and vehicles of the school at a high level.
● A thorough understanding of, and commitment to, safety protocols both on the campus and in our vehicles.
● A proven, spotless commercial driving record.
The Bus Driver transports students over routes and/or to/from special excursions; ensures vehicle is in safe operating condition; and ensures safety of students during transport, loading and unloading from buses. The Bus Driver is responsible for: morning and/or afternoon bus runs to Alexandria Metro station and other areas as assigned, occasional field trips during the school day to local sites, and transportation of athletic teams after school and on weekends. This job reports to the Director of Operations.
• Transports passengers over scheduled routes to and from school and/or field trips in a safe and timely manner.
• Monitors students and other passengers during transit to maintain safety and follow district policy.
• Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections (e.g. fluid levels, tire pressure, exterior condition, mirrors, etc.) to ensure the safe operating condition of the vehicle and comply with mandated guidelines.
• Advises students and other passengers of appropriate behavior to reinforce regulations and maintain passenger safety.
• Assesses incidents, complaints, accidents and/or potential emergency situations (e.g. road hazards, medical emergencies, accidents, etc.) and resolves and/or recommends a resolution to the situation.
• Assists students and other passengers in safe loading and unloading from buses during both emergency situations and normal transport.
• Attends meetings, classroom and behind the wheel training, safety meetings, in service, etc. to maintain skills and meet the certificate requirements of a school bus driver.
• Prepares documents and reports (e.g. incident/accident reports, inspections records, passenger misconduct, student counts, etc.) as needed.
• Reports observations and/or incidents (e.g. discipline, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) to appropriate personnel.
• Responds to inquiries (e.g. students, parents, other school personnel, etc.) to provide information and/or direction.
• Secures students as assigned (e.g. car seats, wheelchairs, restraints, etc.) to ensure their safety during transport.
• Assists children with disabilities on and off the bus.
• Assists with snow removal on/around buses to ensure buses maintain established schedules.
• Cleans assigned vehicles, both interior and exterior to ensure safety, appearance, and sanitation of vehicle.
• Lifts student and/or equipment (e.g. wheelchairs, car seats, restraints, seat belts, etc.) to position or reposition students as appropriate.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Working Environment: Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above, in addition to the following:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. Employee is required to drive locally and occasionally on interstate travel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, night vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The job is performed for the most part in one of three school-owned commercial buses. The noise level is that of a typical school bus.
- Valid Class “B” Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger and School Bus Endorsements
- CDL 3rd party examiner (DMV)
- CPR/First Aid Certificate Recommended
- SET (State Efficient Transport) Certification Behavior Intervention Training, or willingness to obtain
- 2+ years commercial driving experience with good driving history
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
Terms of Employment
● Part-time, (approximately 20 hours/week), FLSA Non-Exempt, 10-month employee
● Hours subject to responsibilities of position and frequently requires evening and weekend duty
● Background check and Virtus training
● Valid Class “B” commercial driver’s license
Start Date: Immediately
Salary: Between $23-$25 an hour, commensurate with experience
Contact: We invite qualified candidates to consider becoming part of our community by submitting a cover letter, current resume and three (3) professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Bishop Ireton
Bishop Ireton, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school in historic Alexandria, Virginia, serving 800 students, began its proud heritage of academic excellence in 1964. The school offers a challenging environment and outstanding quality of life, both in academics and co-curricular activities, with a strong focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) initiatives. The spirit of community service and giving back is part of everything the school does. Bishop Ireton’s top-tier status is reflected in its talented faculty and staff, who take great pride in seeing virtually every graduate head to college - often to the most prestigious universities and service academies.
Apply for Bus Driver Part Time
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly