Range Safety Officer
Full-time Range Safety Officer ( to work at the NRA Headquarters Range. Please note: Work schedule will require days, nights, holidays, and at least one day each weekend.
Summary: Assist in all aspects of the NRA Range operation on a full time basis to ensure safe and productive usage of the facility while providing support to management and staff. Applicants must be eligible to have access to firearms and ammunition and should have shooting experience. Preference given to trained Range Safety Officers. NRA will provide, and employees must successfully complete, required NRA certification courses in addition to job specific training. Knowledge of and support for the mission of the NRA required.
- Perform range and office daily operations, including open/closing procedures, range preparation and basic maintenance, inventory restocking, classroom preparation, phone inquiries, and staff coverage. Assisting range management with staff training, SOP improvements/application, and implementing policy as directed.
- Enter information into computer database of individuals qualified to use the NRA Range, as well as those individuals who have been prohibited from range usage, as determined within divisional guidelines. Conduct office duties to include retail sales, restocking, cleaning/maintience, and ID verification. Conduct preventative maintience on range mechanical systems in an accurate manner as directed by NRA Range GM, AGM, or Operations Supervisor. Ensuring staff and customer safety through effective supervision of Range activities during scheduled times, including professional correction of violations. Able to lead by example while providing supervision and mentorship to part-time staff while working as a Range Officer. Ability to make decisions and follow through required. Operate all range equipment, including lane controls, POS systems, HVAC and lighting controls and daily maintience/clean-up of range areas.
- Adhere to all policies, procedures, and regulations established for the usage of the NRA Range.
- Strong understanding of NRA’s Mission as well as customer service, verbal/written skills, attention to detail, and be willing to take and give professional direction.
- Assist NRA management in successful implementation of outside activities, including Air Rifle Range and Car Show events as well as VIP and industry/association related activities.
- Be an effective resource of firearms knowledge and experience to include proper and safe gun handling skills, loading and unloading of various action types, malfunction clearing, and the ability to make corrections on all of these in a professional manner.
- Provide timely and effective feedback on range operations and staff to management to promote continuous improvement.
Scope: High visibility with all divisions and departments of the NRA, senior management, industry partners, and the general public. Position functions with minimal supervision in a fast paced work environment. Position exposes individuals to lead particles and requires the lifting and carrying of up to 50lbs of materials as well as long periods of standing. Position requires a pre-employment blood level lead screening test, as well as bi-annual blood lead screening tests, and annual hearing tests. Position requires flexible scheduling with full availability and some overtime, ability to work days, nights, weekends (at least one day each weekend), and holidays. Occasional travel required.
Education and Experience: High School or equivalent degree required. NRA and/or industry related firearms/range safety officer training certifications with demonstrated ability to oversee firearms use on a range highly preferred. Strong familiarity and knowledge of firearm operations, designs, and usage required. Ability to interface personally with NRA staff and the general public. Working knowledge of computer database menu driven systems and willingness to learn new software applications required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities: Ability to read and interpret written materials and follow/implement verbal instructions at a professional level. Ability to write reports, effectively present information and to respond to questions from groups of managers, NRA clients and the general public. Demonstrated problem solving experience and high end communication skills essential when dealing with range clientele in stressful situations. Proven ability to supervise, mentor, and motivate fellow staff members to achieve Range expectations.
To apply, send resume with cover letter stating salary expectations to email@example.com The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (minority/women/disabled) offering an excellent benefits package. Please visit our website at www,nra.org to learn more about us.
Apply for Range Safety Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly