Bilingual Information Services Specialist
As a Bilingual Information Services Specialist, you will work under close supervision in the dissemination and interpretation of complex health and medical-related information regarding the causes, prevention, detection, diagnosis, and treatment of specific diseases and disorders under the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Institute’s purview. In addition, you will respond to public inquiries via phone calls, email, and postal mail. You will develop standard and custom language to be used in responding to public inquiries, conduct online literature searches of NIH-approved Web sites and databases, and make resource referrals as appropriate.
What Will You Be Engaged In Day-To-Day?
- Managing incoming telephone calls, assessing caller’s needs, and verifying information.
- Drafting custom responses to written and email inquiries from the public, including controlled correspondence from members of Congress, and submitting to a senior staff person for review.
- Cross-training across other NIH contracts to provide inquiry response support during periods of high volume.
- Conducting research and data gathering, including manual and online literature searches using the Internet and databases such as PubMed, MedlinePlus, ClinicalTrials.gov, and NIH RePORTER, and scanning health professional and programmatic literature to identify information that will be useful in responding to inquiries.
- Researching and identifying new referral sources for the resource directories, ensuring that the organization meets the inclusion criteria.
- Preparing original drafts of frequently asked questions written in plain language.
- Participating as a member of the team in developing materials and publications that are used in responding to public health and medical inquiries, including information packages, resource lists, factsheets, and annotated bibliographies.
- Reviewing health-related professional, scientific, and medical journals to draft knowledge base articles and developing new standard language.
- Preparing continuing education presentations on topics in the news related to new treatment options, rare diseases, and new resources for health information.
- Providing onsite support at professional meetings attended by physicians, nurses, and medical professionals, representing NIH Institutes.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
What Qualifications Will Help You Succeed?
- B.S./B.A. degree in a science or health-related discipline.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Bilingual written and verbal Spanish & English is required.
- Prior experience working in the field of health information or education is highly desired and familiarity with health care terminology a plus.
- Experience in using the Internet and resource databases is needed.
- Excellent client service skills, dependability, and follow-through.
- Task and detail-oriented; able to work within established deadlines and perform assignments with a high degree of accuracy.
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
IQ Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/Disabled/Veteran). IQ Solutions prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin or ancestry, marital status, status as a military veteran (including recently separated and other protected veterans), or status as a qualified handicapped or disabled individual, or as Vietnam-Era Veteran, in accordance with applicable law.