Development and Communications Associate
Development and Communications Associate
Full Time: 12 month, hourly position
Reports to: Director of Development
The Development and Alumni Relations Office at Saint James School in Hagerstown, Maryland, is seeking a Development and Communications Associate to report to the Director of Development, and support the Director of Communications and the Assistant Director of Development.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Database Entry and Maintenance. The Associate will assist with the confidential information management of the School’s donor database (Raiser’s Edge.) Tasks include: a) daily entry of donations to the School and preparation of gift receipts, b) entry and revision of constituent biographical information, and c) other tasks to be assigned.
- Communications Support. The Associate will assist with social media postings, oversee the day-to-day maintenance of the website, assist with taking photos at school events, assist with drafting monthly e-newsletters, and maintain an inventory and assist with printing needs (stationery, envelopes, business cards, etc.)
- Event Planning Support. The Associate will assist with the planning and management of School events. Duties include scheduling, planning menus, interaction and correspondence with vendors, tracking guest attendance, keeping event materials organized, and managing other administrative responsibilities required for successful event planning.
- E-mail and Phone Inquiries. This employee will be responsible for answering and directing phone calls, responding to e-mail inquiries, and reaching out to various constituencies as needed.
- Mail Assembly. The Associate will be responsible for compiling and assembling direct mail appeals, email solicitations, and other constituent correspondence.
- General Administrative Duties. This includes, but is not limited to, office organization, filing, scheduling meetings, assembly and mailing of gift receipts and thank you letters, and ordering and picking up office supplies.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Competency in Microsoft Word and Excel, and working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including standard business letter writing. Must be able to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong organizational and project management skills with the ability to prioritize work assignments.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy, particularly for data entry, proofreading, and editing.
- A firm grasp of available social media tools and platforms, including a basic knowledge of social media tracking and analytics.
- Must be highly professional, friendly, outgoing and considerate of others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a proven track record of building relationships is a must. A sense of humor is a plus.
- Must be willing to work collaboratively and cooperatively with other staff members.
- Must be willing to represent Saint James School and to serve as an effective ambassador for the School’s mission and programs, both in and outside of the office. Must be willing to greet and converse with visitors on a regular basis.
- Familiarity with office procedures and equipment is expected and required.
- Flexibility to work occasional night and weekend hours to assist with special events and phonathons is required.
- The candidate selected must pass a criminal background check and hold a valid driver’s license.
- Event planning and coordination experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience in Independent Schools or non-profit organizations is preferred.
- Previous experience with Raiser’s Edge database software is not required. However, the candidate must have the ability to enter information accurately, and with careful attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Photoshop, InDesign or MS Publisher is a plus, but not required.
- This position does not qualify for tuition remission.
- The first six months of employment are probationary, after which performance is evaluated yearly.
- Salary range $28K - $35K, commensurate with experience.
Applications will ONLY be accepted through the link below. All others will not be considered.