Under direct supervision of the Director of Human Resources, the incumbent is responsible for providing recruiting and administrative support to Human Resources department. Work assignments involve handling and relaying information of a confidential nature and care must be taken to maintain confidentiality.
This position is classified as non-exempt and in accordance with the Federal regulations is eligible for overtime pay for hours worked in excess of forty (40) hours per week. Note: Overtime must be pre-approved and time off from work either paid or unpaid is not considered in determining hours worked in a week.
Other Performance Measures:
Successful performance on the job requires following safety guidelines and policies to reduce accident or injury to self or students, dress standards, proper attendance and leave policies, and compliance with all other policies set forth in the Employee Handbook. Creativity, initiative and effective problem solving is also important to the success of the incumbent.
Examples of Essential Functions
- Pre-screen resumes for entry level, non-exempt positions and scheduling interviews with hiring managers.
- Reviews, analyses, and selects qualified applicants for posted positions.
- Tracks open positions and assist with Recruiting Checklist.
- Post in appropriate and required settings, and removes posting in a timely manner.
- Assist with making offers to new hires and contacting references and employment background checks.
- Attends job/career fairs.
- Assist with onboarding; collecting and documenting new hire paperwork.
- Review documents for accuracy, completeness, and compliance.
- Conducts internal compliance inspections/audits.
- Ensures all DC, MD VA DOH, FBI OIG background check are completed.
- Responsible for biennial background check tracking.
- Assist in all HR areas as tasked, for example, new hire paperwork process, verification of employment, new hire orientation.
- Perform various HR functions such as entering confidential employee information, updating as required and filing material.
- Assist in administering benefits, compensation, and employee performance programs.
- Assist with data entry; input new hire information into HRIS database.
- Retrieve, sort and distribute incoming mail for administrative staff.
- Compile reports and create spreadsheets as needed for data collection.
- Assist with collecting the completion of training documentation from staff and administration.
- Educate staff members on benefits and HR services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the theory, procedures, and practices of one or more of the fields of human resources.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of public human resources administration and educational institution organization.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of business math computations, grammar, composition and spelling.
- Knowledge of computer information systems and software including MS Office suite.
- Ability to prepare spreadsheets and reports.
- Ability to make and apply routine decisions in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Ability to complete assignments within specified timeframes.
- Ability to serve as a lead worker as assigned.
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence using English grammar and spelling.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Successful completion of the required training courses within a specified period of time.
- Tuberculosis screening to assure no significant risk to the health and safety of others.
- Successfully passing a criminal background investigation and pre-employment and random drug screenings.
Minimum Acceptable Education and Experience:
Associates degree in HR Management or related field from an accredited university or college and two (2) years of experience related to technical administrative support work; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hours of Work
7:30 AM to 4:00 PM (Monday-Friday)
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.