Storage Architect- #0035058
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is seeking a Storage Architect to join the Core Mission Services team as a storage architect and administrator. Located on the Johns Hopkins University campus in Baltimore, MD, STScI is the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) and the science and mission operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), scheduled to launch in spring 2021. STScI offers an excellent and generous benefits package, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedules, and a stimulating and diverse work environment. Relocation assistance may be available. Explore our benefits: http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities/benefits
Your role & responsibilities:
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) storage infrastructure is comprised of a variety of storage systems that house some of the most meaningful astronomical observations ever taken. As a Storage Architect your will bring your experience in managing SAN and NAS based arrays to the CMS Branch. You will work with the CMS team in the IT Services Division and you will provide primary support for all storage systems at STScI.
Your responsibilities in this role will include:
- Lead the design and architecture of the storage systems at STScI including SAN, NAS and Cloud solutions
- Responsible for the oversight of the SAN fabric including zoning for SAN attached arrays, hosts and other devices. Plan and perform storage infrastructure upgrades, technology refreshes and data migration ensuring data integrity across all connected systems
- Capacity and performance planning providing regular updates to management for procurement requirements.
- Lead the administration and support of the Network Attached Storage infrastructure
- Troubleshoot and repair component failures
- Monitor storage usage trends
- Perform routine upgrades.
- Perform routine SAN storage administration tasks including LUN creation, modification, and deletions
- Work with vendor support teams as needed to actively address storage systems and infrastructure faults and perform corrective maintenance tasks as needed
- Solve and repair storage array component failures that may occur and manage problem resolution including Root Cause Analysis
- Participate in creation, resolution and escalation of Service Incidents, Requests and Change tickets
- Provide reporting inputs (metrics) on system resources in all operational areas
- Produce and maintain detailed operational documentation
Your Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
Successful applicants are typically eager to learn and grow in their career, demonstrate great collaboration and are creative problem-solvers with strong verbal and written communication skills. You have 10+ years of progressively responsible technical expertise, including:
- Detailed understanding and hands-on experience in SAN administration including the storage provisioning process, thin provisioning, RAID, SAN Storage pools, SAN troubleshooting and virtualized environments
- Strong knowledge of NAS array support including multi-protocol (NFS, CIFS) deployment and administration
- Experience with Dell EMC Isilon is desirable
- Senior level experience with CommVault or similar data management/backup platform and large tape library infrastructure
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with Brocade DCX fibre channel director switches, HBA firmware, multi-path software, and SAN fabric (ISLs, zoning) and associated management tools
- Experience architecting, administering and solving Brocade SAN Fabrics
- Experience with EMC Connectrix manager
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with science and engineering staff, technical staff, management, vendors, etc.
- Ability to lead technical teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to effectively present technical and policy issues
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Knowledge in storage administration of multiple storage platforms including multiplatform hardware and operating systems, backup and recovery
In order to meet ITAR requirements US Citizenship or Permanent Residence is required
- Knowledge of cloud deployment models and related experience (Private/Public/Hybrid cloud) AWS, MS Azure, or other cloud technologies and ITIL certifications
- Experience with large-scale virtualization (1000-5000+ VM) environments using technologies such as VMware vCenter
- One or more related certifications such as EMC EMCISA, EMCSA
Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in the field of information systems or computer science. An advanced degree would be advantageous. Substitution of relevant education or experience for the stated qualifications may be considered.
To Apply: You are requested to complete an on-line application through the STScI website. Please upload a cover letter and resume on one PDF document for review. Applications received by October 19, 2019 will receive full consideration.
To explore other job announcements: www.stsci.edu/opportunities
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity.