Software Technical Program Manager
Software Technical Program Manager
Title: Faculty Research Assistant
Functional Title: Software Technical Program Manager
Category Status: 15-Fac. Non-Tenured, Continuing Con
Applicant Search Category: Faculty
University Authorized FTE: 1
Unit: ENGR-Civil & Environmental Engineering
Are you interested in joining a vibrant software technology organization that is expanding and emerging as a leader in the field of data visualization? Look no further…
The CATT Laboratory leads the nation in transportation information analysis, visualization, and user interface design. Our software tools are used by public safety agencies, federal, state and local departments of transportation, public officials, and consultants every day. We provide an integrated suite of situational awareness tools for emergency managers, and leading edge data analytics products for transportation planners and consultants. Our software enables governments to make important decisions to improve transportation nationwide.
We receive hundreds of gigabytes of transportation data every day ranging from traffic accident information to real-time traffic flow information. Transportation data may describe how effective a road is during rush hour or the impact of a work zone on traffic congestion, or which bus or train is assigned to a route. Our clients use our software to analyze transportation data in order to generate insights used in research, planning, and operations.
We’re passionate about transportation as much as we’re passionate about building great software. We care about building usable, stable, and secure software that can handle large amounts of concurrent users analyzing lots of data. We use cutting-edge tech to build and maintain our software. We have a mature development process and use industry best practices to ensure that we build the best software possible. We work in an agile environment, so we have stand-ups, retrospectives, and sprint planning meetings. Our team is composed of program managers, technical leads, full-stack developers, testers, administrators, DBAs, interns, and customer support.
We offer extremely competitive benefits such as top-notch medical, dental, and retirement plans. Our leave package is one of the best in the industry and we make work-life balance a high priority. We also make sure that our staff continues to grow professionally by providing access to training opportunities, conferences, and offer tuition remission for continuing education.
Our lab is in College Park, off-campus but near the University of Maryland, and easily accessible by metrorail, bus, car, and bike.
So, you’ve made it this far. Great! If you’re interested in working with a team that builds software used every day to plan improvements for road networks across the United States, if you want to make an impact on the way people analyze and visualize transportation data, and you’re interested in working with people that are passionate about what they do, apply now! We strive to cultivate a diverse team because we believe that different perspectives build better products, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
Serves as a Software Technical Program Manager for the Center for Advanced Transportation Technology Laboratory. This position is a technical project lead overseeing multiple agile software development teams working on 5-10 concurrent projects ranging from rapid turnaround hotfixes to major platform launches.
Primary responsibilities include leading development teams in our agile development culture, coordinating with clients, and creating and maintaining project plans. This position is also responsible for interviewing and hiring full-time and part-time staff.
- Ability to lead concurrent software development teams and projects
- Good people skills, working well with diverse teams
- Experience or coursework in Software Development, Engineering Management, Systems Engineering, or Software Project Management
- Experience designing, analyzing, and improving system architecture
- Minimum 5 years of technical software leadership experience
- Minimum 5 years of software development experience
- Strong verbal, presentation, writing, and client service abilities
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong analytical problem solving skills
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or another technical field
- Experience with distributed computing and storage frameworks such as Hadoop, Spark, or BigQuery
- Strong SQL skills and familiarity with relational database design and operation
- Substantial Linux experience
- Experience with any of the following languages and programming models
- Java, Spring, Hibernate, JAXB, JMS, Logback
- Python and Django
- Hadoop, HBase, and MapReduce
- Client-Server architecture
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Experience with government contracting
- Experience with 24/7 support and DevOps leadership
- Experience with transportation system management & operation (TSMO) performance measures for highways and transit