Deputy Executive Director of Membership, Marketing, and Publications
Position Summary: The Deputy Executive Director (DED) is responsible for leadership and management of marketing, membership, and publications teams and works in close collaboration with internal partners on a broad range of programs, products, and services. As a member of the executive management team, this role supports organization-wide strategies through oversight of membership and marketing efforts, monitoring business development activities and key analytics, and supporting cross-departmental publishing and communication to ensure alignment with NAFSA’s strategic goals and priorities.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Strategic Leadership (15%)
Reporting to the Executive Director & CEO and working in close collaboration with other members of the senior management leadership team, provide organizational leadership to ensure the success of NAFSA’s board-approved strategic plan. Contribute thought leadership and strategy on association management issues; provide strategic guidance on issues impacting programs, products, and services. Maintain the overall success of the organization, as well as actively contribute to the development and implementation of NAFSA’s strategic plan. Meet regularly with Executive Director and CEO to provide updates on department initiatives and future planning.
Operational Leadership (15%)
Provide strategic oversight of NAFSA’s Marketing, Membership and Career Center, and Publication teams. Promote cross-departmental collaboration and communication to ensure efficient operations. Ensure effective communication between executive management team and senior leadership to ensure activities are closely aligned with strategic priorities.
Business Development and Innovation (15%)
- In collaboration with NAFSA’s leadership (CEO, Management Team and senior management), identify new business opportunities and assess the viability and market for new or refined programs, products, and services. Support strategic initiatives by developing business plans and conducting financial risk analyses. Assist in development, marketing, and revenue considerations of new or refined products.
- Provide strategic guidance to executive and senior staff responsible for business innovation to support new business development opportunities that are supported by actionable business intelligence and aligned with market need. Monitor, identify, synthesize, and report on trends and key business indicators using a diverse group of data sources that aid member acquisition and retention.
- Collaborate with DED CFO and Technology Solutions staff to research and recommend business intelligence and data analytics best practices, standards, and policies. Lead NAFSA’s non-dues revenue strategy aimed at diversifying revenue and reducing risk.
- Provide strategic leadership for NAFSA’s membership recruitment, renewal and retention strategy. Ensure that membership continues to drive a significant proportion of NAFSA’s overall annual revenue by constantly assessing and enhancing the membership value proposition.
- In consultation with Management Team, strategically leverage the work of other departments as part of a cohesive, integrated membership value proposition. In a cross-functional collaboration with senior leadership and key stakeholders, establish membership goals, develop strategy, and devise metrics necessary to meet or exceed established recruitment goals and drive organizational sustainability.
Marketing and Brand Management (10%)
- Provide strategic leadership for institution-wide brand, marketing, and promotions. Ensure alignment of multi-year strategic marketing and promotions plan with program priorities and NAFSA’s strategic plan. Collaborate with executive leadership to ensure appropriate service delivery to program, product, and service departments that contribute to progressive revenue growth.
- Work closely with DED/CFO and Technology Solutions team to provide strategic oversight for NAFSA’s extensive Web presence, email marketing, and social media channels and ensure that they are leveraged to strategically position NAFSA’s full range of offerings.
Publishing and Communications (15%)
- In collaboration with DED, Knowledge Development, ensure that NAFSA’s strategic business interests and thought leadership imperatives are appropriately reflected in all publications. Lead strategy to deliver NAFSA’s thought leadership content through digital delivery channels to contribute to NAFSA’s overall non-dues revenue strategy.
- Provide strategic leadership and editorial guidance for periodic member/stakeholder newsletters and editorial direction and content of NAFSA’s magazine (print and digital). Manage NAFSA’s publications portfolio that includes extensive book publishing and member and non-member communications via internal and external newsletters. Lead efforts to strategically grow non-dues revenue from advertising, book and e-book sales.
Organizational Advancement and Strategic Partnerships (10%)
- Serves as an advisor to the Executive Director and CEO on NAFSA’s Organizational Advancement initiatives and revenue opportunities, including sponsorships, fundraising, and affinity programs.
- Provide operational support and data analytics to support prospect research, cultivation, and solicitation strategies for annual conference, regional conferences, and other external fundraising opportunities.
- Work closely with Executive Director and CEO and Senior Director, Organizational Advancement as needed in donor/underwriter cultivation and stewardship.
Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ten or more years of management and operations experience including direct experience with strategic planning, project management, budget and forecasting
- Minimum of five years of experience with a professional or nonprofit association (or similar organization) leading, developing, and implementing membership-related projects
- Minimum of five years of direct experience with strategic communications or marketing, including digital and print promotions and web marketing
- Budget management experience including development and successful execution of plans for revenue generation
- Demonstrated success in using key performance indicators, metrics, and complex analytics to inform business strategies and advance strategic priorities
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment in a complex, fast-moving, environment and contribute at a strategic level
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including writing, editing, and oral communication
- Exceptional leadership skills, including capacity to guide strategic planning with the ability to link long-term goals with day-to-day program implementation decisions and needs
- Ability to lead in a team environment, while handling controversial issues with confidence, diplomacy, tact, and discretion
- Successful cultivation and maintenance of collaborative working relationships with staff peers and colleagues in cross-functional areas and teams
- Commitment to the association’s mission
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Previous experience with NAFSA or other higher education association, membership or nonprofit organization
- Experience in international education
- Experience working in a publishing environment with oversight for fulfillment operations
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The Deputy Executive Director works collaboratively with all other staff, including the Management Team members, Leadership and Professional Development Services, Knowledge Development, Web Services, Finance, Technology Solutions, Human Resources and others.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities in the U.S.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.