International Business Development Manager - Defense Industry - Virginia (statewide)
The Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) is seeking an experienced international business development professional to assist Virginia-based defense-related companies in generating international sales.
This is a unique opportunity to work with a broad range of companies from Virginia’s defense industry as they grow their export sales. By managing a portfolio of companies that are participating in VEDP - International Trade’s Global Defense Program, this position will consult with defense-related companies to provide advice and guidance on entering new international markets.
This position will also facilitate access to international trade development resources provided by VEDP - International Trade. Through the Global Defense Program, VEDP – International Trade provides resources such as customized market research, international matchmaking, export compliance, and grants to help Virginia companies grow their international sales.
This position reports to the Vice President of International Trade and is part of VEDP’s International Trade division, which is recognized as the leading state international trade development program in the U.S. VEDP offers an attractive benefits package, featuring a retirement plan that includes a defined benefit component that vests in just five years and a defined contribution component that vests in four years.
- Recruit companies from Virginia’s defense industry to participate in VEDP - International Trade programs and services, including the Global Defense Program
- Consult with companies from Virginia’s defense industry to develop international business development plans and track progress toward goals
- Provide advice and guidance on entering new international markets and growing international sales
- Maintain relationships with companies that are currently enrolled in programs and those that have completed programs
- Lead delegations of Virginia companies attending international trade shows and participating in international matchmaking appointments, approximately 1-2 times per year
- Maintain proper documentation of program materials and ensure deadlines are met to provide excellent service to Virginia companies
- Collaborate with private sector service providers, regional organizations, and industry associations to increase awareness of international trade development services provided by VEDP - International Trade
- Provide International Trade division staff with guidance and best practices related to international defense sales
- Strong experience in export practices and international business development for defense companies. This can include tier 2 and tier 3 suppliers, as well as niche defense and security companies.
- Considerable knowledge of foreign business practices and federal regulations (e.g. ITAR, FMS, FMF) pertaining to the export of U.S. defense goods/services is requested.
- A bachelor’s degree in international business, or related field, or equivalent work experience is required.
- A valid driver’s license and passport are required.
- Candidates must have U.S. worker authorization status.
This position works with companies in all regions of Virginia and can be based in any region of Virginia. This position requires regular travel to all regions of Virginia and occasional international travel. Salary Minimum: $75,000
All candidates must apply through our website https://www.vedp.org/about-vedp. Application deadline: September 20, 2019.
VEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VEDP’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VEDP Human Resources at 1-804-545-5634 or firstname.lastname@example.org. TDD 1-800-828-1120