Assistant Director for Web Applications
The Division of University Relations (UR) seeks an Assistant Director for Web Applications to join the Business Applications team. Throughout project life cycles, this individual will be responsible for coordinating and leading the web application development activities, including making key decisions for the technology infrastructure and configuration of the system. He/she/they will manage projects, direct and extensively engage in its design and implementation as well as help troubleshoot and evaluate existing and proposed systems.
The Assistant Director will lead a team to develop and enhance web applications and features. They will translate business strategies into products that will improve the overall efficiency of the division through collaboration with internal partners. This individual will help to define product direction as well as prioritize and manage features that will deliver best of class experiences for our stakeholders.
The Assistant Director will act as an agent for change regarding the new technologies and tools, promote top code quality through design and code reviews, and solve challenging performance issues. He/she/they will develop guidelines, processes, and policies when needed and will be responsible for ensuring compliance. This individual will maintain current documentation on different projects and systems and work to ensure PCI compliance status, availability, and security of UR’s web applications and assets, as well as business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
- BA in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field.
- At least 6 years of experience developing and managing Web Technologies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient knowledge of current web development trends, software development methodology, software and hardware architecture, software requirements, security, and web standards and compliance.
- Conceptual, strategic thinker with proven problem-solving skills and the ability to see the big picture.
- Strong project management skills with great attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, with technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Ability to translate business requirements into technical deliverables.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced knowledge of Web Technologies, frameworks, architecture and trends. Ability to translate this knowledge and experience into advanced programming skills.
- Knowledge of Section 508 / 504 and WCAG 2.0 accessibility standards and compliance relating to websites and web applications.
- WAMP Stack (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP).
- Extensive experience with Web application development in PHP or other modern object-oriented languages.
- Good understanding and experience with the Cloud through PAAS and SAAS. Experience integrating with Google, Microsoft, Amazon or other Cloud platforms.
- Experience with database modeling, design and stored procedures using MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, or Oracle.
- Familiarity with development and management tools such as Slack, GIT, Trello, etc.
- Experience with web search engines, analytics tools, multimedia support, and general website and application utilities.
- MS in Computer Sciences or a related field
- Experience working in a higher education setting
- Knowledge of UX principles and best practices
- Experience migrating to PHP 7
- Working experience with agile methodologies
- Supervisory experience preferred.