Program Manager, Education Abroad Services & Volunteer Engagement
Position Summary: In partnership with the Senior Director, Education Abroad Services and Volunteer Engagement, the Program Manager supports a variety of volunteer management and engagement activities, focused primarily within the Education Abroad Services (EAS) unit and the Membership Engagement Committee (MEC), as well as Member Interest Groups (MIGs). This position is highly collaborative and requires deft coordination with both NAFSA staff members and external stakeholders.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Serve as staff liaison for Member Interest Groups (MIGs) (30%)
- Collaborate with Senior Director to facilitate the success of MIGs with appropriate communication, web updates, annual reports, conference calls, and emails.
- Facilitate the implementation of MIG guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Manage application process for MIG approval.
- Onboard new MIG leaders; develop trainings for leaders on best practices adhering to MIG guidance.
- Manage MIG annual conference events including the Leader Luncheon and open meetings.
- Monitor MIG inbox and Network.NAFSA online communities and provide prompt responses to questions and concerns, consulting relevant internal staff or the Senior Director as needed.
Provide administrative support for the EAS staff (30%)
- Monitor departmental inboxes and maintain the department calendar.
- Provide logistical support for Education Abroad (EA) events and programs.
- Schedule conference calls and maintain databases and filing systems related to member leader groups.
- Orient incoming leaders regarding online workspaces and discussion forums.
- Serve as proactive EAS operations manager for cycle of leader vacancies, including prompting staff partners, so that the recruitment cycle is smooth and efficient.
- Prepare and inventory materials for EA Networking Center at the annual conference.
- Prepare and distribute a variety of print, electronic, and web-based materials.
- Assist in the marketing and promotion of EAS products, programs, services, and resources.
- Support the review and editing of EA-related publications.
- Facilitate the submission of expenses for payment.
Support pan-NAFSA leadership activities (15%)
- Create and distribute annual work plan templates.
- Coordinate catering and audiovisual resources for leadership meetings at the annual conference.
- Support recognition activities of leadership via annual conference signage, leader pins/ribbons, certificates, etc.
- Provide logistical and administrative support to the NAFSA International Education Awards (National Awards) program.
Provide technical support to the unit (20%)
- Update and maintain unit’s webpages in coordination with web content staff.
- Update the statistics for the Education Abroad Visa Help online tool and train volunteer leaders and members to utilize it effectively.
- Manage online, text-based based Collegial Conversations by scheduling chats, training presenters, and facilitating technology.
- Provide virtual meeting support which includes registration assistance, customer and presenter communication, as well as ensuring the smooth operation of the platform during an event.
- Update records in the customer relations management system to reflect leadership activities.
Assist with other projects and duties as assigned (5%)
- Research topics as assigned by Senior Director.
- Travel as needed for conferences and meetings.
- Support Deputy Executive Director on special projects or initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least two years of previous work experience
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including web-based applications
- Demonstrated ability to plan, take initiative, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment in a complex, fast-moving environment
- Experience with database software, as well as various web or cloud-based conferencing platforms
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Exposure to or experience in volunteer engagement and/or international education
- Previous experience with NAFSA, international education, or other association membership, or nonprofit organization
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities.
Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities in the U.S.