Senior Vice President, Environmental Research
Leads strategy and oversight of environmental science and research program. Provides strategic counsel, from an environmental perspective -- including food systems, for the Global Sustainable Nutrition Affairs & Research (GSNAR), and Innovation Center’s Sustainable Nutrition and Environmental Stewardship Committees. Provides technical expertise and interpretation of science to Dairy Management Inc. (DMI), National Dairy Council (NDC), the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy, and close collaborators (i.e. National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) and Newtrient LLC) on environmental and sustainable food systems research. Integrates within the GSNAR team members and appropriate Innovation Center committees. Serves as an internal and external resource on environmental sustainability reporting and food systems science issues.
The position requires an executive/scientific professional who: (1) can be a strong external communicator and translator of the environmental science on behalf of US Dairy Farmers; and (2) has a desire and commitment to lead and develop a team of scientists.
This individual will be a self-starter who establishes and cultivates key environmental science partnerships and leads the Dairy sector’s strategy for environmental technology adoption and measurement. The position will also be responsible for driving attention and focus to environmental science, technology, and data as means to elevate Dairy’s position as a key player in a global, sustainable food system.
- Oversees the execution of the environmental research program that supports business imperatives and creates value for the U.S. dairy industry.
- Identifies environmental reporting and food system issues and develops opportunities for new positioning of ecosystem services provided by dairy farming; serves as an expert scientist internally and externally.
- Collaborates with industry, government, and NGOs to facilitate and develop research that enables environmental sustainability reporting on behalf of the U.S. dairy industry nationally.
- Strategically identifying, establishing, and managing relationships with universities and other partners to drive best practices in environmental science, technology, and data to validate the effectiveness of the Dairy industry’s environmental efforts.
- Collaborating with the dairy processor sector to drive best practices in technology implementation and management
- Leading the development of a data collection, tracking, and reporting system for dairy processor measurement
- Directing environmental science research and assisting in the professional development of the research team members
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical background in environmental science area/sustainability
- Ability to manage and inspire a technical team of researchers
- Development of environmental research strategy
- Solid technical skills including research design, statistical analysis, and interpretation of environmental research.
- Strong proficiency with quantitative and technical analysis and/or modeling
- Excellent critical thinking skills and reasoning abilities; ability and tendency to question and evaluate methods, findings, and conclusions, including one’s own
- The ability to clearly communicate research and analysis, orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Thorough, disciplined, and well-documented research techniques
- Collegiality and the ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external colleagues
- Personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and the ability to manage time, priorities, and resources effectively
- A passion for interdisciplinary, objective research and analysis
Education and Experience: PhD in environmental studies/sciences, economics, environmental/chemical engineering, agriculture or related field. Five to ten years’ experience in the analytics of environmental & food systems datasets, development and management of environmental research or a strong academic background with a proven track record in environmental research and/or food systems analytics. 5+ years’ proven work experience managing a team of three or more people.
Competitive benefits, generous 401(k), and collaborative culture.
Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI) is funded by America’s 37,000-plus dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association, and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements. Thank you.
Dairy Management Inc.™ is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.