The Smithsonian Institution’s Retail Group is currently seeking an experienced Project Manager to manage a variety of retail construction and renovation projects in the Retail Stores, Theaters, Concessions, and Food & Beverage within the Smithsonian Museums and facilities. The scope of work includes all aspects of the project management process (conceptualization, business planning, timeline development, project development and execution, post mortem). The Project Manager will support business goals while maintaining the aesthetic, business and educational standards set by the Smithsonian Institution.
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage simultaneous projects of varying scale including briefs, plans, schedules, budgets, 3rd party contracts and the preparation of all relevant project documentation.
- Communicates expectations and timelines with all parties, both external in internal, while ensuring that projects adhere to timelines.
- Tracks and manages project milestones and deliverables.
- Assists in the development\ design for the preservation and restoration of historic buildings and facilities.
- Prepares and reviews cost estimates, pre-bids and budgets; oversees specifications for construction, rehabilitation, renovation and remodeling projects of various sizes and complexity.
- Negotiates contracts and evaluates progress through all stages of the process.
- Conducts regular construction site visits to check progress and compliance.
- Creates and maintains detailed project records, files, reports and correspondence.
- Ensures coordination with designers/project managers and/or contractors from outside firms and Smithsonian staff and internal partners for development of projects.
- Ensures compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Project work may require working outside of regular business hours
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (Business, Engineering, Construction Administration, etc.), Advanced degree preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of five to ten years related experience and training where responsibilities were progressively increased and included multiple renovations and or new projects within Retail environments.
- 5-10 years of project management work experience with store/facility construction and design coordinating activities of architects, suppliers and subcontractors (electricians, carpenters and heating and cooling professionals).
- 5-10 years of experience working with industry design programs including CAD and Revit.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint, Excel and MS Project Manager.
- Must possess thorough knowledge of Construction Management practices.
- Knowledge of retail market design concepts.
- Store Design and Project Management in Museums a plus
Ability to apply knowledge of general retail operations to store design and fixtures.
Must have outstanding written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Salary range: $90k - $100k annually, commensurate with employment/education
To apply, please email resume and cover letter (including salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer excellent benefits, commuter assistance, and a creative and dynamic work environment. The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
Local candidates preferred - Relocation expenses are not paid.
Final candidate selection will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Appointment subject to a one-year probationary period. EOE. This is not a federal position. Candidates must be U.S. employment eligible without sponsorship.