SENIOR ENGINEER (Stormwater / Sanitary Sewer)
The City of Falls Church Department of Public Works (CFC DPW) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Senior Engineer. The duties of this position will have a stormwater and sanitary sewer emphasis. Responsibilities include designing, reviewing, inspecting, and monitoring public construction projects; such as projects involving sewer lines, storm drains, streets, and other aspect of the City’s infrastructure. Responsibilities also include reviewing residential grading plans and commercial site plans. Activities include writing engineering comments, writing technical specifications and contract documents, preparing field reports, issuing violation notices, participating in meetings, filing and record-keeping, and communicating with contractors/builders/citizens to ensure compliance with standards, specifications, and approved plans.
The individual selected for this position will work closely with staff within the Department of Public Works as well as other departments. Excellent organizational skills, the ability to work in field conditions and to communicate well - both orally and in writing - are essential functions of this position.
- Review public and private plans and ensure compliance with local, state and federal guidelines and regulations including but not limited to USEPA; USACE; FHWA; VDOT; VADEQ; VADCR.
- Review development plans and studies including, but not limited to, subdivisions, public infrastructure improvements, and private commercial development.
- Manage contracts related to planning, design, engineering, and construction of stormwater and sanitary sewer Capital Improvement Program projects (CIP).
- Review and prepare civil design drawings, technical specifications, and construction cost estimates.
- Manage the City’s stormwater and sanitary sewer infrastructure and prioritize improvements.
- Work with Public Works Operations to plan the maintenance of stormwater and sanitary sewer infrastructure.
- Manage the City’s stormwater program for MS4 compliance.
- Receive and respond to citizen inquiries and requests and establishes priorities.
- Provide technical presentations in public venues including but not limited to Planning Commission, City Council, Town Hall meetings, and various committee meetings
- Provide on-call emergency response for governmental operations.
- Provide technical direction and support to other DPW Engineers, CIP Project managers, DPW colleagues and Planners as required.
- Perform related tasks as required.
- Degree in civil engineering or related field and registration as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia (or ability to obtain reciprocity from the Virginia Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects within 6 months of hire).
- At least 7 years’ experience in a responsible engineering position with emphasis in the stormwater / sanitary sewer engineering field.
- Possession of Virginia Department of Environmental Quality's Stormwater Plan Reviewer and Administrator certifications (or ability to obtain them within 1 year of hire).
- Understanding of the stormwater requirements as generally set forth under the Clean Water Act, Virginia Stormwater regulations, the city’s Stormwater Ordinance and the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, of municipal public works and public utilities administration, planning and design.
- Demonstrated ability to review and analyze plans and specifications for construction of public facilities, formulate comprehensive operational policies and procedures, and prepare technical reports.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Stormwater and sanitary sewer planning/engineering experience.
- Project management experience and/or training.
- Training and/or experience in low impact development and environmental best practices.
- Experience required in plan review, particularly as it relates to site/grade plan review, erosion and sedimentation controls, and storm water management best practices.
Salary & Benefits: $79,256+ depending on qualifications (CFC Grade 129). Includes comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, pension plan, deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account, college savings plan, life and long-term disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, free parking, credit union membership, and more. See www.fallschurchva.gov for additional information.
To Apply: Submit a resume or application to the City of Falls Church, Human Resources Division, 300 Park Avenue, Falls Church, VA 22046, or via e-mail to HR.
Applications received by September 9th, 2019 will receive priority consideration.
Reasonable Accommodation: During the selection process, applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation with the agreement of the Human Resources Division. Requests should be directed to the Human Resources Division. The City of Falls Church does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability.