Payroll & Accounting Specialist
The City of Takoma Park is seeking a Payroll & Accounting Specialist to provide payroll and accounting support for assigned financial operations. This full-time position will report to the Accounting Supervisor and works closely with multiple point of contacts within the City. The starting rate for the position is commensurate upon experience. We offer a highly competitive benefits package to include 100% paid medical, dental and vision premiums for employee only coverage and 80% paid premiums for dependents. This position is not subject to membership within the AFSCME union.
- Processes payroll, accounts receivable, and accounts payable as assigned.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll; reviews payroll entries for accuracy and completeness; executes the direct deposit process; processes the payment of federal and state taxes; prepare and submit related payroll report.
- Processes data file and payment for ICMA and Maryland Retirement.
- Sets up new vendor accounts and maintain vendor files.
- Processes annual storm water management, rental license, and refuse billing; applies penalties and interest.
- Operates software to extract billing data and create updated files to Montgomery County
- Maintains cash drawers and petty cash for the department.
- Reconciles assigned bank accounts.
- Processes checks returned for insufficient funds.
- Researches and resolves errors and inaccuracies.
- Provides customer services; answers questions and resolves problems.
- Prepares delinquent lists for outstanding balances.
- Reviews and researches customer accounts; updates new account information.
- Creates and/or processes invoices and prepares related reports. Runs checks; compiles checks for review and signature.
- Prepares bank deposits.
- Processes payments in person and by telephone.
- Processes real property tax.
- Performs duties as assigned by the Accounting Supervisor
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, or a related field, and
One to two years of progressively responsible experience, or
Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Ability to be bonded.
Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license.
Highly competitive applicants will possess the following:
- Knowledge and experience of municipal payroll procedures.
- Knowledge of general accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of federal and state payroll tax laws and regulations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.