Board Administrator and Governance Advisor
The American Nurses Association (ANA) is the premier organization representing the interests of the nation's 4 million registered nurses. ANA advances the nursing profession by fostering high standards of nursing practice, promoting a safe and ethical work environment bolstering the health and wellness of nurses, and advocating on healthcare issues that affect nurses and the public. ANA is at the forefront of improving the quality of health care for all. The ANA Enterprise is the family of organizations that is comprised of the American Nurses Association (ANA), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), and the American Nurses Foundation (Foundation). The three organizations work as a cohesive system to achieve the Enterprise vision, advance the mission, and embody the Enterprise values.
There are two Board Administrators and Governance Advisors who collectively support the ANA Board of Directors, ANCC Board of Directors, and Foundation Board of Trustees.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION: Apply online at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=8aa77bca-e0ae-4e12-a8d6-b79f70f2dd72&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US&selectedMenuKey=CurrentOpenings or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
With minimal oversight, the incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day administration and operations of the American Nurses Association (ANA) Board of Directors, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Board of Directors, and the American Nurses Foundation Board of Trustees (Foundation BOT).
The incumbent is privy to confidential matters including personnel issues, internal labor relations, financial reports, proprietary information, strategic relationships, and legal matters discussed by the Boards of Directors/Trustees and Board of Directors/Trustees Executive Committees.
As a trusted governance advisor, the incumbent influences volunteer leaders to work toward the optimal outcome and supports colleagues across the ANA Enterprise in implementing good governance practices. The incumbent serves as the staff liaison to assigned governance committees and commissions; provides project management support to the Vice President of Governance ad Planning in the development and execution of strategy across the ANA Enterprise; implements ongoing process improvements across all essential job functions to facilitate effective and efficient governance operations; and manages special projects as assigned by the Vice President of Governance and Planning.
1. Board Administration and Operations: Supports the development of meeting agendas for the Boards of Directors/Trustees and Board of Directors/Trustees Executive Committees; compiles, vets, and disseminates board meeting materials; prepares board meeting minutes; compiles, disseminates, and ensures completion of all board-approved actions; supports the development and execution of board orientation; oversees staff in IT, Conference and Meetings Services, and Operations on logistics for meetings of the Boards of Directors/Trustees and governance committees; and ensures the proper retention and accessibility of board records.
2. Staff Liaison: Serves as the staff liaison to assigned governance committees (e.g., awards, bylaws, nominations, professional policy), which includes: serving as a subject matter expert on the association policies, positions, and procedures that impact the work of the committee; providing guidance and strategic insight to the Chair and committee members; facilitating the completion of the committee’s responsibilities; and maintaining and disseminating accurate committee records.
3. Strategic Planning: Supports the Vice President of Governance and Planning in the execution of strategy across the ANA Enterprise, which includes supporting cross-Enterprise teams charged to develop, prioritize, execute, and review key strategic priorities; and assisting in monitoring strategy progress.
4. Governance Advisor: Serves as a subject matter expert on all facets of association governance; provides professional consultation to individual staff and staff teams across the ANA Enterprise; serves as a subject matter expert to staff liaisons and other support staff to ensure effective management of governance and practice-related committees and commissions; ensures effective execution of shared responsibilities and promotes consistency across the ANA Enterprise.
5. Communications: Prepares and disseminates communications to the Boards of Directors/Trustees and other volunteer leaders; acts as a conduit of information between the chief elected and chief staff officer of ANA, ANCC, and the Foundation; and administers the board portals, which includes creating and maintaining all content.
6. Policy and Procedures: Reviews association policies established Boards of Directors/Trustees and Board Operating Policies and recommends revisions as necessary to ensure accuracy, effectiveness, and compliance with governing documents.
Bachelor’s degree, varied disciplines considered.
Related Work Experience
At least seven years of experience in a progressively responsible position in an association or in non-profit governance that includes five years of frequent and regular interaction with Executive-, Vice President- and Director-level staff as well as elected and appointed volunteer leaders.
1. Exceptional ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced and fluid environment, while maintaining meticulous attention to detail and adhering to established timelines.
2. Exceptional ability to interact and communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, with board members, high-level volunteer leaders, and Executive-, Vice President-, and Director-level staff.
3. Demonstrates a clear understanding of the need to comply with bylaws, association and operating policies, and procedures.
4. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of associations.
5. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of board operations, volunteer committees, and non-profit governance best practices.
6. Exceptional project management and organizational skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to work with intranet/extranet sites and portals.
ANA’s state of the art office is located in the heart of beautiful downtown Silver Spring, Maryland, just blocks from the Metro and a wide range of restaurants and shops. ANA offers competitive salaries, a flexible work schedule and great benefits that include the following and many more:
• Attractive benefit plan for Health, Dental, Vision, RX
• 15 days accrued PTO, 3 personal days and Christmas week off (paid)
• 9 paid holidays, birthday holiday, and 12 sick days
• Excellent matching 401K plan
• Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
• Flexible Spending Accounts