Classroom Technology Engineer
The Engineer works within the Academic Technology & Innovation team to drive the design and building processes for technologies used in classrooms and informal learning spaces. S/he works directly with the campus community to engage instructors in forward-thinking uses of classroom technology to facilitate formal and informal learning. The successful candidate also works closely with staff responsible for systems design, contractors oversight, and deployment of new technologies and services on campus. The engineer reviews requirements, designs classroom systems, programs AV systems, performs tests and pilots of viable technologies.
We are looking for a passionate, highly creative individual who has exceptional project management skills. The Engineer will work under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Classroom Technology and Field Support Services, and will be a member of the office of Academic Technology & Innovation at the Division of Information Technology.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and training in related areas (AV, electronics, engineering, electrical systems, etc.).
● Minimum of 3 years of experience leading projects related to design of AV systems for classrooms and informal learning spaces.
● Minimum of 5 years of experience working with design/install of AV systems.
● Extremely well versed in the application of design methodologies – special focus on universal design.
● Ability to construct full AV system scopes of work and associated documentation (wiring diagrams, floor plans, equipment specifications, etc.).
● Strong organizational and project management skills to effectively lead multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
● Proficient in the use of classroom technology applications such as Cisco systems, web conferencing solutions, Panopto, Clickers, Crestron Fusion, etc.
● Strong strategic thinker who can communicate innovative ideas and concepts to many audiences. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of employees.
● Minimum 5 years of experience working in higher education environments
● Committed to customer satisfaction: exceptional skills in collaboration, consultation, communication, customer support, data analysis, and time management.
● Driven by standards of excellence and committed to continuous improvement; ability to foster faculty enthusiasm for and engagement in the use of innovative technologies for teaching.
● Ability to build good rapport across all levels within the organization, as one of the core responsibilities is to analyze, assess and provide training solutions for a variety of situations.
● High level of energy, drive, enthusiasm, initiative, creativity, and commitment; ability to work in a busy environment and on own initiative, be self-motivated and flexible.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Job risks: not applicable to this position
Physical demands: must be able to operate AV equipment, drive a motor vehicle, and work at heights on a ladder. May be required to work outside of normally scheduled working hours (i.e. early mornings, late evenings, weekends).
Best consideration date: 08/20/2019 or open until filled.
Please, apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/72214