Associate Editor, Digital
Supports print editors and Managing Editor in production and execution of AMERICAN HUNTER.ORG Web property. Assists in coordination of content in an accurate and punctual manner, ensuring that all work satisfies established quality standards and policies and meets production deadlines. Assigns, receives, edits and posts content from external contributors. Produces and posts content to website as required. Provides editorial and search engine optimization befitting best Web practices.
1. Coordinates with Editor in Chief, Managing Editor in selection and production of editorial material for AMERICAN HUNTER.ORG.
2. Coordinates with the magazine’s print editors on strategies to ensure proper and timely posting of material to social media outlets.
3. Coordinates with Web Operations Department on the timely placement of editorial, photographic and video content, when necessary.
4. Advises Managing Editor on best Web practices and provides digital support as needed.
5. Assigns, proofreads, edits and posts content to AMERICAN HUNTER.ORG.
6. Provides inbound and outbound marketing on social network sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and other social media-related sites.
7. Procures images for website use and ensures proper usage rights are obtained.
8. Ensures external contributors are paid in a timely manner.
9. Writes Web copy, headlines and captions for AMERICAN HUNTER.ORG.
10. Implements SEO-related features to AMERICAN HUNTER.ORG.
11. Ensures Web content is consistent with NRA policies.
12. Travels as assigned; extended hours required.
SCOPE: Coordinates daily with AMERICAN HUNTER staff; also coordinates with Web Operations staff, other departments within NRA Publications and other NRA divisions. Frequent contact with firearm industry, governmental and non-governmental organizations, agencies and groups.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism, English or Communications, or equivalent work experience required. Two years experience in the production of a magazine or newspaper website desired. Knowledge of best practices as they relate to Web content management. Working knowledge of the shooting and hunting sports and the Second Amendment issue necessary. Must be an avid hunter.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: Excellent editorial skills mandatory. Ability to write clearly and concisely. Proven writing and editing skills required. Magazine and website design and content development experience desirable. Attention to detail and organization mandatory. Diplomatic skills essential in dealing with editors, authors, advertisers and general public. Strong working knowledge of popular content management software. Knowledge of social networking sites and the ability to develop search engine marketing (SEM) strategies. Working knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO). Ability to work independently, without supervision and under pressure. Ability to meet strict guidelines, take direction and carry several projects through to completion simultaneously. Working knowledge of word processing software and electronic publishing necessary
The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package.