The Controller is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, and the support of budgeting and forecasting activities. The Controller works closely with the Vice President of Finance, supervises accounting staff, and interacts with senior management and the CEO.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Work closely with the Vice President Finance and Administration to develop and present budgets and financial reports to the CEO, Finance, Investment Committee and Board.
- Work with other departments in preparation of departmental budgets and in providing month end financial reports.
- Work closely with the Vice President Finance and Administration to coordinate audits for audit firm.
- Prepare IRS Form 990 work papers, financial statements, and notes review staff work papers,
- Provide supervision of accounting staff and manage staff workflow.
- Oversee Payroll, Accounts Payable and disbursements, preparation of 1099’s, and cash receipts.
- Oversee staff-produced journal entries, general ledger activities, month-end closing processes, balance sheet reconciliations, and variance analysis.
- Maintain accounting for investment accounts including the recording of stock donations and provide stock donation information to the Development team.
- Maintain accounting for charitable gift annuities including investments, liabilities, revenue, and state reporting.
- Maintain bequest accounting including receivables and revenue, and review of bequest files to ensure the accurate accrual of bequest receivable.
- Prepare monthly financial reports using financial reporting software.
- Maintain the chart of accounts, a system of controls over accounting transactions, and an orderly accounting filing system.
- Develop and implement internal controls. Create and update accounting procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with CPA and/or equivalent designation.
- 5-7 years of supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
- Strong PC proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and high accountability for accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, thrive in a fast-pace setting, work under pressure, and meet deadlines.
- Nonprofit accounting experience preferred.
- SOP 98-2 joint cost accounting experience preferred.
- Investment accounting experience preferred.
- Bequest accounting experience preferred.
- Microsoft Dynamics SL accounting package experience preferred.
- Electronic vendor payment systems experience preferred.
- Human Resources, payroll, and benefits experience preferred.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Controller” in the Subject line for consideration. For a full position description, visit: http://www.brightfocus.org/careers.
ABOUT US: BrightFocus Foundation (BrightFocus) is at the forefront of brain and eye health by promoting awareness and driving innovative research worldwide to help eradicate diseases including Alzheimer’s disease, macular degeneration, and glaucoma. To learn more about BrightFocus, visit www.brightfocus.org.
BrightFocus is committed to the full utilization of all human resources and to a policy of equal opportunity. In accordance with applicable laws, it is our policy to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to any legally-protected characteristic including, but not limited to, race, age, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.