Merchandise Buyer - Online Catalog
The NRAstore Merchandise Buyer serves as primary product purchasing agent for the NRAstore™ printed catalog and website. In addition to product purchasing responsibilities, the Merchandise Buyer will assist with development and implementation of sales promotions across 3 channels: catalog, website and regular targeted e-mail blasts. Additional duties may include, but are not limited to copywriting, conceptual development of advertising materials, graphic generation, image manipulation, content generation, content updating, photographic art direction, trade show setups, and public interaction as an NRA representative.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively evaluates, develops and purchases new products for NRAstore, within departmental guidelines.
- Serves as lead member of product selection team as directed.
- Monitors all product evaluation, development and purchasing for NRAstore.
- Provides product development, merchandising and marketing training and guidance to NRAstore staff, directing and monitoring their efforts in analyzing historical sales data, identifying merchandise categories with high sales potential, conceptualizing and developing new products, nurturing beneficial vendor relationships, negotiating favorable pricing structures, positioning and merchandising NRAstore products, marketing NRAstore products and copywriting.
- Monitors preliminary product selection of NRAstore staff, refining product development for final presentation.
- Analyzes market trends in an accurate and timely manner.
- Attend, as directed, industry trade shows and monitor competitors in order to identify and exploit buying trends, with the goal of increasing NRAstore™ sales and profits.
- Develops and nurtures business relationships with existing and potential vendors, negotiating favorable cost options and price breaks for the NRAstore™.
- As lead member of the product selection / marketing team, tests and evaluates potential products, and closely monitors and guides the testing efforts of NRAstore staff.
- Selects products with highest sales potential.
- Negotiate best prices and terms for the NRAstore™ within departmental guidelines.
- Interacts directly with customers via e-mail and telephone in response to product inquiries or problems in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoots and solves vendor disputes in a timely manner.
- Conceives, designs and develops proprietary NRA branded products, within departmental guidelines.
- Participates in hands-on involvement with all NRAstore™ promotions, including e-mail, website, direct mail, magazine, newsletter and periodical ads, and printed catalog as directed.
- Participates in hands-on involvement with catalog preparation, including photography, layout, product placement, special promotions, copywriting and proofreading as directed.
- Interacts with and supervises outside service vendors including, but not limited to printers and freelance creative talent, within departmental guidelines.
- Provides content contributions for NRAstore website, blogs, product reviews, catalog copy and other sales related initiatives as may be required.
- Assists, as required, with day-to-day maintenance of NRAstore.com website.
- Interacts with NRA technical department to facilitate implementation of marketing programs in a timely manner.
- Participates, as required, directly in the operation of the brick-and-mortar NRAstore Museum Shop.
- Directly participates in onsite retail sales at in-house and remote events, including cash register operation, stocking, shipping, receiving, and supervision of volunteers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SCOPE: The NRAstore Merchandise Buyer functions as the primary product selector, reviewer and developer for the NRAstore™. This position is responsible for training of NRAstore staff and monitoring of all NRAstore staff purchasing activity. This position is also the primary liaison between the NRAstore and its customers, NRA members, product vendors, service vendors, NRA staff, and NRA fulfillment center(s). Moderate local and national travel required. Moderate weekend work required. Positions functions in a fast paced work environment with minimal direct supervision.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: B.A./ B.S. in communications, marketing, management, business, or a related field. 5+ years experience in catalog, retail or e-commerce store, including vendor relations, new product acquisition and development, sales and marketing. Familiarity with outdoor/sporting/firearms industry is required. Sales/purchasing experience and knowledge of the outdoor/sporting/firearms industries are essential.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Knowledge, awareness and support of the NRA and its position regarding Second Amendment rights and firearm related issues are crucial. Leadership skills are essential. Experience with marketing techniques and an understanding of the NRAstore™ customer demographic are critical. The ability to willingly work in a fast-paced small team environment, managing multiple projects and meeting stringent deadlines is essential, as are research, analytical and problem resolution skills. Intermediate knowledge of PC platforms, graphics software and Microsoft Office are essential. Proven ability to effectively formulate and present proposals for maximizing NRAstore™ sales required. This position demands a strong command of English and excellent oral and written communication skills. Outstanding human relation skills, tact, professional decorum and a strong work ethic are mandatory. Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate outside service vendors essential. Graphic design skills are a plus.
To apply, send resume with cover letter to email@example.com. The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package.
Apply for Merchandise Buyer - Online Catalog
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly