Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
Starting Salary Range: $58,372 – 67,700
The Accounting Assistant is a vital member of the accounting and billing team, assisting with billing, cash receipts posting, accounts payable, payroll, file maintenance, general office support, and a variety of reconciliation and analysis tasks. The position is responsible for efficiently producing accurate documents and reports using automated accounting software, reporting software, and Excel spreadsheets. The position also provides occasional administrative support to the CFO, Controller, Senior Project Accountant, and other team members. The Accounting Assistant must be detail-oriented, produce highly accurate work, meet deadlines, and have the flexibility and professional demeanor to work well in a fast-paced and diverse environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Prepare and send invoices and supporting documentation, pulling data and notes from various forms and reports for billing and payables area
- Record, reconcile and review cash receipts
- Enter accounts payable invoices and reconcile with purchase orders
- Distribute vendor and employee checks
- Assist with monthly, quarterly, and year-end accounts, credit cards, purchasing cards, and other reconciliations
- Generate and distribute financial and other reports with close direction
- Resolve discrepancies and issues through research and analysis
- Maintain, organize and archive electronic and hard-copy (onsite and storage) files, including scanning and indexing
- Assist with preparation and distribution of 1099’s, W-2s and other annual reports
- Provide meeting support for the CFO, Controller, and Senior Project Accountant, including scheduling and document preparation
- Prepare correspondence and other documents for delivery
- Manage office supply inventory
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate degree in accounting, business or related field; or, college-level coursework equivalent to an associate degree in accounting, business, or related field; or, two years of experience in a position with job duties equivalent to those listed in the Responsibilities and Essential Duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business is preferred.
- Experience processing billing or accounting transactions in an automated financial management system in a business, nonprofit or government environment.
- Experience with Deltek Costpoint is a preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized, with the ability to multi-task and manage time effectively.
- Good interpersonal skills and a professional work manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Dependability, a strong work ethic, and a strong motivation to respond to requests quickly.
- Ability to master new accounting software applications.
- Self-starter, taking initiative to gather information and utilize available resources to complete tasks.
- Good analytical, research, and problem-solving skills.
MWCOG is an association of local governments in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area. Every month, more than a thousand officials and experts come to COG to make connections, share information, and develop solutions to the region’s major challenges. More information is available at https://www.mwcog.org.
BENEFITS, WORK HOURS AND LOCATION
MWCOG provides health insurance, transit, and other employee benefits, including an excellent and well-funded pension plan with full vesting in five years. The office is conveniently located two blocks from Union Station, in the increasingly popular NOMA area of Washington, D.C. MWCOG does not participate in Social Security, except for the required Medicare portion.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
COMPREHENSIVE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
Because of the nature of this position, utmost integrity is required, as well as successful completion of a comprehensive reference and background investigation.
MWCOG is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices.