Front-End Web Designer
2 days left
- Full Time
The front-end web designer helps create the overall look and experience of a wide range of digital communication projects by creatively combining art and coding to engage audiences and enhance the reputation of the University of Maryland.
Design, user experience (UX) and user interaction (UI) are critical in creating an impactful digital experience. The job of a front-end web designer is to envision how people experience UMD’s digital brand and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, refined and even magical. In an interactive designer role, you’ll tackle complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use digital solutions for our constituents—prospective students, current students, alumni and donors.
Achieving great experiences requires combining design prowess with technical coding knowledge. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s degree in design, interactive design, computer science or related field
• Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in digital field
• Demonstrated ability to craft exquisite experiences using web markup including latest HTML and CSS languages
• Knowledge of methods, procedures, techniques and technology available for web, tablet, mobile and digital projects
• Experience with brainstorming, campaign development and web project lifecycle from research, planning, design, development, QA, implementation and maintenance
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Astute critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Ability to think creatively and justify concepts
• Willingness to expand and learn new techniques, tools and skills as industry evolves
• Knowledge of typography, color theory, grids, visual hierarchy, universal design principles
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Solid understanding of digital creation tools; including Sketch App, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite, Terminal and/or Sublime Text
• Experience with wireframing and prototyping
• Usability testing, site speed optimization and web accessibility experience
• Ability to produce microsites from concept to launch
• Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them
• Knowledge of version control frameworks such as GitHub and GitLab