The University of Maryland’s Office of Strategic Communications seeks an experienced, and strategic development writer to support the university’s robust fundraising and alumni relations efforts. This person should be enthusiastic about working with colleagues in donor relations, development and other areas of university relations to increase awareness of the university’s Fearless Ideas fundraising campaign and its role in advancing the university.
The writer will be responsible for identifying stories across the university to increase engagement and financial support from alumni, parents and friends of the university. As a member of the central marketing and communications team, the writer will work in collaboration with the marketing, publications, communications and web teams to produce proposals, annual fund solicitations, web content, brochures, articles, giving stories and more. This individual must possess advanced story development and journalistic writing skills, including knowledge of interview techniques and the ability to research and write compelling cases for support to be delivered to potential donors. He/she must have strong fundraising-based writing experience, and experience writing for a wide array of existing and potential donors.
• Research and draft compelling gift proposals for development officers to present to prospective donors.
• Write and produce marketing collateral such as invitations, brochures and web content to assist development officers.
• Provide copywriting support for ads, annual fund solicitations, brochures, direct mail, broadcast email, e-newsletters, websites and videos to increase engagement and financial support from diverse audiences.
• Write and edit remarks for various speakers at engagement and fundraising events
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s Degree is required
A minimum of three years of progressively responsible job experience in development communications or journalism is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Comprehensive knowledge of development best practices.
• Excellent writing and organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate.
• Flexibility in working with vendors and partners
• Ability to address problems and offer solutions in an efficient manner
• Ability to juggle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
• Ability to be creative and work independently.
• Thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
• Ability to quickly produce clear and concise documents for internal and external publication.
• Knowledge of G Suite