Director, Advocacy & Media Outreach
Position Summary: The Director of Advocacy and Media Outreach’s primary mission is to assume lead responsibility for developing and mobilizing NAFSA’s advocates for effective advocacy action on behalf of our public policy objectives. This position will assume responsibility for the association’s current advocacy activities, including strategic web-based and online advocacy and advocacy events, and develop new programs and initiatives as the field evolves.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Develop and articulate a vision for advocacy events, activities, and communications (35%)
- Organize and implement the association’s strategic advocacy campaigns
- Manage NAFSA’s annual Advocacy Day event that brings attendees from around the country to Washington for training and meetings on Capitol Hill
- Craft communications to advocates, including action alerts and weekly updates
- Recommend and manage the budget for the association’s constituent advocacy strategy
- Provide key constituent advocate support for lobbying team during critical times
- Gather critical information and input from constituents to provide to the NAFSA lobbying and media relations teams
Develop, implement, and evaluate effective constituent advocacy strategies and systems to expand the association’s impact on public policy (30%)
- Amplify NAFSA policy messages through strategic use of voices such as constituents, thought leaders, academics, etc., to influence policymakers
- Identify policymaker targets and develop corresponding advocate base
- Grow and improve advocacy education to convert constituents to engaged advocates and to empower the association’s existing advocates toward effective action
- Interpret NAFSA’s public policy agenda to constituent advocates, counterpart coalition partners, internal and external audience
- Strategically utilize technology to advance advocacy objectives
- Maintain advocacy website (www.connectingourworld.org) and make appropriate and timely updates
- Support NAFSA’s regional advocacy representatives and facilitate regular communication and sharing of best practices
- Develop and implement programs for advocates in key states and districts as needed to fulfill NAFSA policy goals
Coordinate as needed with coalition partners, policymakers’ media staff, and other allies to implement shared advocacy media relations goals (20%)
- Assume primary responsibility for the department’s social media strategies, as they pertain to motivating constituent advocates and pushing NAFSA’s policy agenda;
- Prepare and conduct rapid outreach in response to breaking news and other pivotal events as needed
- Write and distribute social media copy for the Executive Director and NAFSA
Serve as the primary liaison between constituent advocacy activities and NAFSA staff members (10%)
Performs other responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Director or Deputy Executive Director (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least five (5) years of experience implementing and directing advocacy plans and strategies
- Demonstrated experience organizing campaigns, leveraging coalitions, and building momentum; effective grassroots organizer/networker/facilitator
- Strong writing and editing skills as well as the ability to convey information on complex issues both verbally and in writing to a variety of audiences in support of policy agenda
- Superb communicator with strong interpersonal and polished public speaking skills in both formal and informal settings
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple streams of work, prioritize appropriately, and problem solve effectively in complex and nuanced situations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, social media platforms, and web content tools
- Proficiency in or exposure to online advocacy software
- Knowledge of or interest with policy issues related to international education, immigration, or national security
- Experience with foundations, associations, or nonprofit organizations
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities in the U.S.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.