Senior Staff Accountant
1 day left
- Full Time
Title: Senior Staff Accountant
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is home to more than 60,000 scientists from 139 countries. As the Senior Staff Accountant, you will be part of a dynamic association of Earth and space scientists who advance research, collaborate across disciplines, and communicate the importance and impact of science to society. AGU offers our employees exciting opportunities through top-ranked scientific journals, scientific meetings and conferences, and other educational and scientific programs, to present and publish research, gain leadership experience, mentor, and freely exchange knowledge.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Senior Staff Accountant does
The Senior Staff Accountant position is key in assisting AGU to promote discovery in Earth and Space science for the benefit of humanity by being operational in focus. The primary purpose of this role is to perform various accounting and financial duties with a focus on month-end close, general ledger entries and reconciliations, fixed asset tracking, investments and grants. Additionally, the incumbent assesses and recommends improvement in internal control processes and enhancing efficiencies and undertakes special projects within Finance.
Reporting to the Manager of Accounting, the Senior Staff Accountant interacts with other members of the Finance Department, as well as AGU’s program leads.
· Monthly Close
o Takes the lead in coordination of month closing process, handling accounting issues and preparing journal entries to complete the monthly close according to AGU schedule. Including but not limited to:
§ Prepaid recognition
§ Payroll Journal Entry Allocations
o In collaboration with the Accounting Manager, GL, prepares monthly reporting and analysis of the validity of the data in the reports according to AGU’s reporting schedule.
o Conducts monthly reconciliations maximizing the use of new AGU technology to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance. Including but not limited to:
§ Bank Accounts
§ Deferred Revenue
§ Accounts payable
o Analyzes financial statements for discrepancies and other issues that should be brought to the CFO’s attention.
· Grants Compliance and Reporting
o Works with Program Managers to confirm that grants activity is recorded properly and timely in accordance of the terms of the grant, and manages grant documents and schedules.
o Prepares monthly internal reporting for grants management.
o Prepares all required external reporting and filings as required per the terms of each grant including all government required filings.
· Audit and Tax Compliance
o Takes the lead in preparation of all documentation and schedules required to complete AGU annual compliance activities.
o Actively participates and contributes in all required audits, cost reporting and tax filings; audit, cost report and tax return lists to be completed by established deadlines.
· Debt Compliance
o Prepares period reports to meet AGU’s debt compliance. Additionally, assists in the monthly draw process during the construction period.
· Prepares ad hoc reporting as required.
- Documents policies, procedures and workflow for assigned areas of responsibility.
· Collaborates and develops strong working relationships with other departments to ensure their needs and the organization’s needs are met while promoting a culture of high performance quality customer service.
· Other duties as assigned.
What the Senior Staff Accountant brings to the team
· Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business or related field with 5+ years of related professional experience in non-profits, associations and/or for-profit organizations, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Strong General Ledger experience with understanding the Accounting Cycle Flow and the impact and performing reconciliations that are intermediate to complex in nature.
· Previous grants experience is highly preferred.
· Experience using software to identify and analyze quality indicators and data, measure variables and highlight trends.
· Experience in a scientific, knowledge-based or technical setting is a plus, but not required.
· Proven track record and solid experience with senior accountant level duties.
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to meet deadlines; accomplish work in order of priority; professionally maintain composure and effectiveness under pressure and changing conditions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks with high level of difficulty.
- Possess an excellent facility with numbers.
- Excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills, including ability to resolve disputes and observe confidentiality.
· Strong attention to detail.
· Ability to present information concisely and effectively.
· Ability to demonstrate accuracy and quality of work in a fast-paced work environment.
· Excellent communication skills (with a high degree of diplomacy) are essential, as is excellent follow-through on tasks.
· Ability to project a professional demeanor while interacting with people having diverse backgrounds and professional levels.
· Proficiency with Microsoft suite of products, with focus on Excel.
· Must be capable of exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.