MT Electrical Trades Chief I # 124910
Under general supervision of the Facilities Manager, the incumbent is responsible for performing the tasks associated with the accomplishing the goals of the department and the mission of Shady Grove which is operating and maintaining an environment that is safe and environmentally friendly. The Electrical Trades Chief Performs as a working member of the team with expertise in more than one trade. Provides guidance and instruction to others, and has responsibility for project completion. Perform electrical work at a journey level, Install, maintain and repair electrical systems, electrical and electronic components of HVAC systems, and equipment involving electrical circuits carrying less than 13,000 volts. This position would be required to either work 7 am – 3:30 pm, 10 am – 6:30 pm, or 1:30 – 10 pm.
Six years progressively responsible experience in the trade(s) where assigned to include at least two years in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Additional Certifications Required:
- Montgomery County journeyman’s license required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the methods and techniques of the trade where assigned; of the OSHA regulations related to the trade area.
- Thorough knowledge of and skill in the practical application of electronics, hydraulics, and mechanics as used in maintenance work; of basic mathematics including area, volume, weights and the practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions; of the care and storage of equipment and supplies used in the area where assigned.
- General knowledge of the principles of supervision in the maintenance trades. Skill in the use and maintenance of the tools and equipment of the trade where assigned. Ability to read, interpret, and work from blueprints, schematics, drawings, and specifications; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to lead and train skilled and unskilled employees in assigned trade(s) work; to prepare summaries and reports; to work in, on, around, over and under fixed equipment and machinery; to work from ladders and scaffolding; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools, and supplies and/or exert force up to 70 lbs.; to concurrently manipulate multiple controls on machinery and equipment; to work in hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces, and adverse weather or temperature conditions; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the theory, principles, methods and techniques used in the installation, repair and maintenance of electrical systems, equipment, apparatus carrying less than 13,000 volts;
- Knowledge of principles of electricity and electronics; knowledge of electrical codes which typically apply to work assignments; knowledge of electrical devices such as controls, switches, starters, transformers, motors and panel boards.
- Skills in the use of tools of the electrical trade; In the installation of electrical devices; in diagnosing the cause of electrical failure;
- Ability to interpret and apply contract documents, schematics, maintenance manuals and assembly instructions;
- Ability to comprehend new technology, make mathematical computations and work from ladders and/or hydraulic lifts;
- Ability to prepare summaries and reports; to communicate effectively and follow directions.
- Must maintain a valid class “C” Maryland License or equivalent with less than 6 points.
Top of Form
Must possess the ability to work around fixed machinery; work from ladders and scaffolding; manipulates heavy equipment and exerts force up to 70 lbs.; work in the hazardous or irritating environment; wear and work in personal protective equipment, confined spaces, and adverse weather and temperature conditions. This position is considered “Essential Personnel" subject to 24-hour 7 days/week span of operations. Work is generally performed during normal working hours however it is expected that those in this position work whenever necessary to ensure the facility is running safely and efficiently at all times. After hours emergency calls are expected. Evening shift. Flexible work.
Bottom of Form
Apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/71557
This position is located in Rockville, MD.
Benefits Offered: The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 11 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days Sick Leave, 3 Personal Days; 15 Holidays; Tuition Remission; Health, Dental, Vision and Prescription Coverage. Candidates must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the USA. No H1-B Visa sponsorship is offered for this position.