Director of Publications and Research
American Society of International Law
The American Society of International Law (“ASIL” or “the Society”), the premier membership organization in the field of international law, seeks an experienced, hands-on professional to serve as its Director of Publications and Research. Founded in 1906, ASIL’s mission is to foster the study of international law and to promote the establishment and maintenance of international relations on the basis of law and justice.
Title: Director of Publications and Research
FLSA Classification: Exempt
The Director of Publications and Research oversees the ASIL Publications Department and ASIL research projects. This includes the American Journal of International Law (AJIL), AJIL Unbound, International Legal Materials (ILM), Proceedings of the Annual Meeting (Proceedings), ASIL Insights, International Law in Brief (ILIB), and Proceedings of the International Humanitarian Law Dialogs. Duties include substantive legal research, writing, editing, oral presentations, managing staff (fellows/interns/consultants), and overseeing the publications budget. This position reports to the Deputy Executive Director.
- Manage the ASIL relationship with Cambridge University Press (CUP) in regard to the production of the AJIL, ILM, and Proceedings. Serve as point of contact for all communication with CUP and the AJIL Board of Editors on matters of print, publication, and marketing.
- Oversee production of ILM, including the document selection process, author solicitation, substantive review of introductory notes, and coordination with CUP for copyediting and production. Review issues for proper type setting and proofing prior to print.
- Serve as Managing Editor of ASIL Insights and oversee submissions, the editorial process, editor meetings, copyediting, and posting articles.
- Research and monitor current developments in international law. Write and post summaries of developments for ILIB.
- Manage the Publications Department budget.
- Oversee, undertake, and support international law research projects and reports in coordination with the ASIL Department of Education.
- Supervise production of other ASIL publications, including IHL Dialogs.
- Hire and manage interns, external consultants, and the ASIL Publications Fellow.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements: BA/BS and J.D. or the equivalent. Demonstrated experience in and knowledge of international law. Strong legal research and writing skills, including journal or other editorial experience.
The American Society of International Law is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by law. We value a diverse and inclusive workforce and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Compensation: ASIL offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package, and an interesting, collegial work environment. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter with resume, references, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Publications and Research” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
2223 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008