Contracting and Procurement Assistant
Position title: Contracting and Procurement Assistant
Section: Contracting, Common Service Delivery Point (CSDP)
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-308455
Starting salary: $51,232 USD plus benefits
Competition no: 3414
Date posted: 06/25/2019
Closing date: 07/10/2019 06:00:00 PM EST.
Employment Tenure: Indeterminate
This staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and for similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, emergency, and acting opportunities at the Embassy. When you submit your application, you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g., indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting.
CANDIDATES CAN ONLY APPLY VIA THE LINK BELOW:
- Persons living in the greater Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, DC.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff (CBS) at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, DC.
All applicants must:
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Reside in the United States.
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Submit resumes and cover letters by the closing date and time. The covering letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements under language, education and experience;
- Confirm residency in the United States;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States. (US Citizen, LPR, or A-1 visa as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission)
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in your application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Under the general supervision of the Contracting and Procurement Officer, the Contracting and Procurement Assistant is responsible for compiling, maintaining and entering data for basic materiel management, procurement and contracting activities in an assigned range of goods and services, for Washington Common Services Delivery Point (WSHDC CSDP) client missions.
The type of services includes inputting and maintaining data, such as Purchase Orders in the Department's SAP-based financial management system; providing routine contracting and procurement advice and services including the processing and maintenance of contracting files, scanning and reviewing received documentation and preparing and submitting forms on different systems and to different recipients. The incumbent also provides administrative support for Regional Contract Review Board (RCRB) as well as other duties as assigned.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Language, Education and Experience requirements listed below. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
A post-secondary diploma or an acceptable combination of relevant experience, education, and training related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working in a high paced office environment;
- Entering accurately and rapidly large volume of data in a computer system such as SAP;
- Experience in providing client service, advice and guidance to clients.; and
- Experience using various word processing, data management and email software or systems such as Microsoft Office Suite programs.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of basic administrative processes and procedures;
- Knowledge and proficiency in computer software, including Microsoft Office Suite, and databases; and
- Knowledge of the management of information and records, both electronically and in hard copy.
- Communicate effectively in English and French, both orally and in writing;
- Provide effective client service in person, by telephone, and electronically;
- Enter large volume of data into various software systems, ensuring accuracy and attention to detail;
- Manage multiple priorities; and
- Work independently when required or as a team member.
- Demonstrating integrity and respect;
- Thinking things through;
- Attention to detail;
- Working effectively with others; and,
- Showing initiative and being action-oriented.
- The ability to work in French would be an asset.
- The ability to work in Portuguese would be an asset.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary plus leave and health benefits package. Leave includes paid vacation, sick, and family/personal leave. Health packages covers medical, dental, disability, and retirement. Other benefits include prime work location in proximity to Metro, standard 37.5-hour work week, on-site parking, on-site gym with cardio and weight room, and on-site cafeteria. The Embassy promotes work-life balance and offers a dynamic and healthy work environment
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions (US Citizen, LPR, or A-1 visa as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission).
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 37.5 hours per week. The incumbent may be required to work overtime as needed.