ITSD Division Head #034444
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is the science and flight operations center for multiple NASA missions including the Hubble Space Telescope and the James Webb Space Telescope. We are a multi-dimensional organization with each functional and research area having unique IT requirements and customers. Each of these dimensions has specialized customers, platforms, systems and security requirements. We are seeking the right person to provide vision and leadership for our Information Technology Services Division (ITSD).
The ITSD Division Head serves as a key member of the Leadership Team, responsible for the organization’s information technology environment in support of STScI’s astrophysics and data science missions. The Division Head is responsible for the architecture, security, processes, and service operations supporting engineering, science, and business systems. They will have a record of accomplishment who can address the status quo and implement platforms and processes that advance the organization’s missions. They will build relationships with other senior leaders, as well as participate in or lead organizational priorities in broader leadership and management areas.
• Ensure that the technology environment is both cost-efficient and robust and meets the quality service levels required for the Institute’s success.
• Collaborate with science, engineering, and business staff to develop technology roadmaps and architectures in support of mission, engineering, and organizational requirements.
• Simplify and modernize the network, storage, application, and compute architectures to reduce the organization’s technical and design debt.
• Expand private, public, and hybrid cloud architectures to support the Institute’s growing storage and compute requirements as well as lay the foundation for increased innovation.
• Improve operations and service delivery performance leveraging the ITIL framework.
• Assess the organizations information security posture and implement technologies, processes, policies, and architectural changes to better secure the environment and meet audit and compliance requirements.
• Create and manage the IT budget according to plan and negotiate spending priorities with all relevant stakeholders.
• Ensure integrity of the Institute’s data stores, including proprietary, SBU, and ITAR, data classes.
• Bachelor's degree and 10+ years of increasing responsibility.
• Proven experience in a senior technical leadership role.
• Experience with academic/science/non-profit environments.
• Knowledgeable in software engineering practices and toolchains.
• Strong leadership, coaching and mentoring skills.
• Highly developed negotiation, consensus building and communication skills.
• Well-versed on information technology trends and can apply new technology to create organizational opportunities.
• Legally qualified to work with ITAR data.
• PMP/ITIL certifications desired.
We are located on the Homewood Campus of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD. The Institute offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, relocation assistance and a stimulating environment.
Interested candidates are requested to complete an on-line application and submit an application. Please include job #024444 in the filename. Applications received by July 31, 2019 will receive full consideration. US Citizenship / Permanent Residency required for International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR).
Veterans, disabled or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com.