Senior Director, Assistant Controller
The Senior Director, Assistant Controller will provide leadership and have primary responsibility for the monthly general ledger closing and financial reporting process for United Way Worldwide (UWW), while ensuring GAAP compliance, including managing the annual financial statement audit process, and filing the Form 990 and other related tax returns. The Assistant Controller will be responsible for assisting management with developing and implementing process improvements with a focus on maintaining an effective system of internal controls. The Assistant Controller will also provide guidance and supervision to the Manager - Financial Reporting and Manager – Staff Accountant to determine work plans, project deliverables and resource requirements. In addition, the Assistant Controller will assist the Controller with development and implementation of the organization’s strategic initiatives.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Provide direct oversight, guidance and supervision of the Manager - Financial Reporting and Manager – Staff Accountant.
- Responsible for timely deposit of UWW funds and timely payment of UWW expenses, including payment of FLEX credit reimbursements to members.
- Responsible for accurate record keeping of member FLEX credit balances.
- Responsible for active monitoring of member dues receivable balances that ensures collection of dues on a timely basis.
- Responsible for timely and accurate month-end general ledger close.
- Review monthly reconciliations prepared by other Finance staff to ensure the accuracy of financial statements.
- Assist the Controller in review and implementation of all new accounting standards and tax regulations.
- Financial Reporting:
- Lead the preparation of interim and annual financial statements and analyses (including budget to actual) for internal distribution to various departments, the Executive Management Team and external partners.
- Coordinate with Sr. Director of Budget and Cash Management in preparation of the annual budgets and ensure budgets are loaded into the accounting software on a timely basis.
- Support the Controller in the review and preparation of quarterly consolidated financial statements, ensuring compliance with GAAP when recording financial activities.
- Responsible for the coordination and execution of the annual financial statement and pension plan audits of UWW and its subsidiary organizations, including assisting the Controller in preparation of the financial statements and related footnote disclosures.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate filing of the Organization’s annual Form 990, Form 990-T and related state tax returns.
- Responsible for timely and accurate reporting to lending institutions as required to remain in compliance with loan covenants.
- Maintain Delegation of Authority records for accounting systems/processes.
- Support the Controller in the implementation, review and update of written financial policies and procedures with emphasis on the balance between effective internal controls and performance efficiency.
- Responsible for periodic review of all Finance policies and procedures to ensure best practices are applied in all areas of the Finance team function.
- Coordinate with the Human Resources team to ensure proper alignment between Employee Policies and Financial Policies.
- Assist the Controller in developing strategy for successful execution of organizational goals and initiatives through effective application of existing back office capacities and innovative development of new processes, technologies, and staff professional development.
- Assist the Controller with providing support to the UWW network via participation on, FIC sub-committees and Finance & Talent Management Forum planning and attendance as needed
- Other Duties and/or special projects as directed by the CFO and/or Controller.
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with at least six to eight years of advanced-level experience in a similar role, with at least 5 years in non-profit accounting. CPA is a plus. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Suite with emphasis on Excel. Beneficial to have direct financial reporting experience with FRX or similar G/L reporting tools. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to interact effectively with all levels throughout the organization. Prior people management experience. Able to handle multiple tasks and stay organized.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.