Program Assistants - Special Education
The Foundation Schools is a special education day school which delivers innovative school programs and support services for children and adolescents with emotional disabilities, autism spectrum disorders and other learning challenges. For over 40 years, the combination of academic support and therapeutic services has given our students a chance to reach their full potential. The Foundation Schools has schools in Gaithersburg, Landover and Largo, Maryland that serve over 200 students in grades K-12. We are currently accepting resumes for Program Assistant candidates to work at our Gaithersburg and Landover locations.
**Please specify which location you are interested in as they have different requirements**
The mission of The Foundation Schools is to provide a highly specialized educational and therapeutic program for students preparing them to be productive and successful in their future academic and career paths. The Foundation Schools employs special education strategies and techniques to provide quality instruction that results in the students’ mastery of approved curriculum and that promotes social, emotional and cognitive learning. We effectively manage student behavior through implementation of behavior management systems, school rules and policies.
Our Core Values’ provide a strong foundation for our programs, are integrated into our positive behavior intervention system, drive our actions and guide our staff and students daily to TWIRL (Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership). We offer a supportive working environment with small class sizes and excellent resources.
The Foundation Schools offers a comprehensive benefit package including tuition assistance and a generous retirement package. Visit our website at www.foundationschools.org for more information.
Program Assistants manage students' behavior and ensure students' safety through the implementation of the behavior modification system, school rules and The Foundation School policies. Program Assistants support the academic program, as assigned, by working under the direction of the classroom teacher to implement lesson plans and IEP goals. They must demonstrate basic principle of behavior management systems and have experience working therapeutic restraint as well as experience in crisis intervention. Program Assistants also provide staff assistance and program support through participation in meetings, committees and special activities.
Education, Experience and Certification Requirements
- Requirements for the Program Assistant position at Gaithersburg: High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent is required
- Requirements for the Program Assistant position at Landover: Bachelor's degree required
- Related course work, Associates or Bachelor’s degree is preferred Minimum of one year of successful experience in special education, a psychiatric setting or other similar setting for children and adolescents is required Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities are a plus
- Minimum of one year of successful experience in special education, autism spectrum, a psychiatric setting or other similar setting for children and adolescents is required
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities are a plus
Physical, Interpersonal and Cognitive Requirements
- Qualified candidates must possess sufficient mobility to stand for long periods of time to assist in providing student supervision, move and carry supplies (light lifting, non-repetitive), and to restrain or assist in restraining students when necessary.
- They must be able to type and/or write reports and other paperwork.
- Program Assistants must possess a high level of mental and emotional balance and be able to respond quickly and tactfully to crisis situations.
- Program Assistants must be able to quickly and easily shift job priorities and must possess sensitivity and a professional attitude when dealing with students, families, community representatives and co-workers.