Media Relations Manager
Develop and implement NRA program strategies, with specific emphasis on usage of press and media outlets, to promote a positive public image among various audiences and advance efforts to raise awareness for NRA’s programs. Knowledge of and support for the mission of the National Rifle Association is essential for this role.
- Develop, establish and maintain, within divisional guidelines, NRA General Operations’ image with outside media by planning, organizing and implementing media, marketing and public relations strategies.
- Manage, within divisional guidelines, the database of media contacts for all NRA General Operations’ events.
- Proactively monitor NRA programs and develop and pitch, within divisional guidelines, ideas to current or new media outlets to extend brand presence in an accurate and timely manner.
- Write, prepare, edit, schedule and distribute, within divisional guidelines, press releases, PSA’s and speeches relative to NRA programs and activities in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responsible for screening, vetting and answering media queries and coordinating NRA General Operations’ staff interviews.
- Actively liaison and collaborate with media staff within the NRA Institute for Legislative Action and the Office of the Executive Vice President on media coverage issues/stories/inquiries in a timely manner.
- Analyze earned media and monitor program sentiment to identify opportunities to provide media support.
- Travel to and maintain a Press Office on-site or provide, as directed, on-site media support for major national NRA General Operations’ programs/activities throughout the country.
- Develop and implement media training sessions for staff.
- Develop and manage a consistent NRA programs social media strategy and content calendar with guidance from executive and managerial staff.
SCOPE: High visibility and coordination with all General Operations Divisions, ILA, Office of the EVP and members of the press and media outlets and the general public. Position functions in a fast paced work environment with frequent interruptions and minimal direct supervision. Extended hours and weekend work required. Local and national travel required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: College degree required, preferably in the field of media and press relations. Previous experience working with local and national media and press outlets essential.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: Excellent oral and written communications skills required. Proven ability to interface effectively with all levels of individuals both within the NRA and with outside press and media outlets required. Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects while adhering to strict deadlines required. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required. Demonstrated ability to make presentations to both small and large groups essential. Proficiency in the development, implementation and monitoring of an annual budget required. Creative thinker and self-starter essential. Ability to work independently or as a member of the team required.
To apply, send resume with cover letter stating salary expectations (required). The NRA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package.