Teacher, Head Start
The Head Start teacher instructs, nurtures and encourages Head Start preschool children to increase their social competency.
He/She guides students toward the fulfillment of their potential for social, emotional, psychological, intellectual growth and maturation.
* Meets and instructs assigned class in the location and at the times designated. Develops and maintains a classroom environment conducive to effective learning and strives to establish positive relations with families. Prepares lesson plans with assistant teacher, posts plans in classroom and provides copies to the Education Coordinator. Encourages students to create and maintain appropriate standards of classroom behavior.
* Strives to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education, and instructional goals and the objectives of Head Start and the HighScope curriculum.
* Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
* Evaluates student progress on a regular basis using Key Developmental Indicators, the Child Observation Record and pals Pre-K©. Maintains accurate and complete records.
* Makes provisions for being available to students and families for education-related purposes outside of the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
* Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their families regarding both the broad academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
* Participates with assistant teacher in home visits to Head Start families.
* Attends and participates in Head Start staff meetings and professional development.
* Meets Head Start requirements for sharing responsibility with a multi-disciplinary team.
* Participates in family style meals with students by sharing the same menu to the extent possible.
* Must hold or qualify for a Collegiate or Postgraduate Commonwealth of Virginia Professional License with an Early/Primary Education Pre-K-3 endorsement
* Experience working with preschool age children
* Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrates strong organizational skills
* Must be trustworthy and dependable
* Bi-lingual preferred, but not required