4 days left
- Full Time
About Howard Community College:
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
The Division of Social Sciences and Teacher Education seeks a dynamic, collaborative and student-centered full-time faculty member to join the Social Sciences and Education Division, to teach in the field of anthropology. The Division of Social Sciences and Teacher Education currently offers two pathways: one in Education and another in Social Sciences. The latter contains a Social Sciences program where students can focus their interests within a specific social sciences discipline. Our division's courses are responsible for measuring General Education objectives in global competency and critical thinking, among others. Our faculty seeks to provide a challenging curriculum that fosters disciplinary and interdisciplinary thinking in ways that meet our students where they are and build confidence and ability. As a college with significant student diversity in ethnicity, age and personal experience we require faculty to develop curriculum that is inclusive and that promotes critical thinking and empathy.
In preparation for the Fall 2019 semester, our division will move to a recently renovated campus facility with specifically designed teaching spaces for anthropology. Within this context, the successful candidate will be responsible for teaching courses and creating opportunities for undergraduate research in anthropology. The incumbent will be required to participate in college and/or community service, and will also be tasked with exploring the integration of high-impact practices into the anthropology curriculum, in collaboration with the HCC Division of Academic Engagement. Daytime, evening and weekend courses are taught at HCC across all platforms: face-to-face, online and hybrid. This position will also coordinate several adjunct faculty in anthropology. We are looking for a colleague with the ability to engage students and to instruct using a range of teaching methods and pedagogies.
- The successful candidate will teach 30 credit hours of anthropology courses per year (fall and spring semesters) and provide a minimum of five office hours for student interaction per week during fall and spring semesters.
- Other responsibilities include but are not limited to design, development and assessment of course and program content.
- All full-time faculty participate in college service, for example by serving on departmental and college committees and supporting initiatives that meet the division's core work.
- All faculty make themselves available to advise students on program requirements.
- A full list of faculty responsibilities can be found at https://www.howardcc.edu/about-us/policies-procedures/chapter-10/10.01.02-Faculty-Responsibilities.html [howardcc.edu]
- Master's degree in a field of anthropology required. Earned doctoral degree in anthropology would be an asset
- A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience required; experience teaching in community college, preferred
- Demonstrated experience in teaching at least two of the four fields of anthropology (Archaeology, Biological, Cultural, Linguistic), required
- Experience in facilitating undergraduate research preferred
- Demonstrated experience of teaching using a range of teaching and learning methods/pedagogies, required
- Ability to create inclusive learning environments for heterogeneous groups of learners, required
- Successful candidates should demonstrate ease using technology and software applications including Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communications required
- Experience using a Learning Management System preferred
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; Hours vary based on course schedule
Compensation: Starting salary ranging from $49,167 - $68,750, commensurate with experience plus excellent medical insurances, paid leaves and tuition reimbursement
Grade: To be determined
FLSA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled:
Best Consideration: July 1, 2019
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
- Cover letter
- C.V. or resume
- A statement of your teaching philosophy.