State & Local Legislative Affairs Manager
The Design-Build Institute of America is looking for an organized political junky ready to make his/her mark advocating for the nation’s fastest growing and most popular way to deliver our nation’s infrastructure.
Our State and Local Legislative Affairs Manager is a hands-on member of our advocacy team responsible for maintaining legislative tracking, working collaboratively to coordinate events nationwide, serving as a liaison to DBIA committees, and managing a variety of projects with shared goals across multiple DBIA departments. Organization and collaboration are the key to success in this position.
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate hands-on experience in communicating successfully with lawmakers
- Have experience advocating on infrastructure policy or a related policy field
- Have experience working with national associations
- Be flexible and highly motivated
- Possess a commitment to continuous quality improvement
- Work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Integrate well within a team environment that emphasizes mutual respect and collaboration
Specific duties include:
- Legislative Tracking: Maintain the tracking, and reporting of state legislation through a variety of software, including State Net. Responsible for reading and analyzing bills for relevance, documenting analysis of bills for internal and external audiences and communicating developments to staff, members and general public.
- Event Coordination: Responsible for event logistics and development of materials and talking points for legislative meetings, primarily with state legislators.
- Advocacy Liaison: Serve as DBIA’s liaison for our members, partner organizations and volunteer leaders helping to advance legislation in target states.
- Committee Staff Representative: Serve as staff liaison for DBIA’s member-led committees. Responsible for taking committee minutes, scheduling calls and assisting in the preparation of deliverables, as needed.
- Public/Industry Outreach: Represent DBIA at trade shows. Travel is required.
- Messaging: Work closely with Advocacy and Communications staff to ensure that effective, meaningful and consistent messaging is delivered to advocacy audiences, most particularly policy makers.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with all DBIA departments and teammates to maximize opportunities and ensure advocacy work aligns with organizational strategic direction and departmental goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 2 years public policy or government relations experience.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the state legislative process.
- Demonstrated experience with oral and written communication in public policy or advocacy.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite required
- General knowledge of legislative tracking software programs, including State Net
- Ability to manage multiple collaborators, both internal and external.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, salary requirement (or salary history) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without salary requirement or history will not be considered.