Manager II (Facilities Division Chief)
Manager II (Facilities Division Chief)
Montgomery County Department of Recreation
Silver Spring, Maryland
$90,156 - $163,663
Montgomery County Government is in search of highly qualified individual for a Division Chief position within its award-winning Department of Recreation. The Division Chief is an executive level Management Leadership Service (MLS) position responsible for improving the delivery of services to the community through dynamic, innovative and highly motivated leadership; and responsible for fostering an esprit de corps among Recreation's management team and key organizational leaders. Work in this position requires a mastery of managerial principles and skills combined with advanced knowledge in the recreation industry to include facility management and operations, program and services management, and administrative operations.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the organizational leadership and management of the Department's community, neighborhood and senior centers including operational, mission-related programs, services having critical impact on the accomplishment of department objectives and outcomes. The incumbent will have a proven record of supervisory experience managing and controlling resources of multiple recreational units and/or facilities and will have considerable fiscal, human resource, and advisory impacts.
This position will have substantial input on policy and significant influence on special interest groups and key stakeholders. The incumbent will represent the Department at meetings with elected or appointed officials, boards, commissions, and community groups, will provide analytical guidance and advise executive officials on industry best practices.
Successful candidate should be highly adaptable; openly accept and work effectively in a demanding environment with competing and changing priorities; exhibit timely and impartial administrative responsiveness; have a strong customer focus; ability to balance budgeted resources amongst competing needs of diverse programs; and make operational decisions of County-wide significance in conjunction with the Department Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
It is expected the ideal candidate possess experience commensurate with the following knowledge, skills and abilities which will include:
• Collaborate with the colleagues in the Office of the Director and the Department to develop and implement innovative strategies and appropriate media to reach and promote programming opportunities to target audience's county wide;
• Provide advice, support and planning to County Departments on facility maintenance issues;
• Ability to design, implement, monitor and evaluate departmental operations for efficiency and effectiveness, make data driven decisions to implement or modify departmental controls and/or operational methods, recommend program or facility enhancements, and develop innovative solutions to difficult problems related to area of assignment;
• Oversee supervision of all facilities management functions including in-house staff, vendor management, project management, facility administration, building inspections, building/equipment repairs and emergency response to inclement weather events year-round;
• Direct a diverse workforce in a union/non-union environment in which the staff consists of skilled and unskilled trades, professional and non-professional staff;
• Maintain awareness of new technologies, philosophies and trends in recreation; stays up to date on industry literature; maintains professional affiliations; and represents the Montgomery County as an industry leader;
• Manage assigned team members: develops goals and priorities, schedules and assigns tasks and projects, monitors work, and evaluates performance; develops staff skills and coordinates training; ensures the staff work meets County quality standards, and ensures required deadlines are met;
• Effectively recommend the hire, transfer, assignment, promotion, reward, discipline, suspension, or discharge of assigned personnel;
• Utilize technological support to ensure optimal customer service;
• Collaborate with multiple county agencies, community groups, community leaders, internal and external stakeholders to strategize on expanding and improving recreation facilities and center-based programs that improve the wellbeing of citizens;
• Ensure Departments Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) are developed and up to date and relevant;
• Develop, implement and lead organizational change while ensuring performance measures are attained and services are provided;
• Prepare or direct the preparation of complex reports and studies, analyze and interpret independent research and findings, review and analyze propose legislation;
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with experience making presentations to elected officials and senior management, including but not limited to, defending budgets and controversial project assignments;
• Experience preparing, maintaining, and analyzing Operating and Capital Improvement budgets, and monitoring current year budgets;
• Ability to direct the operations, programs and personnel of complex recreation facilities; programs and services;
• Provide prompt, thorough, and fully responsive implementation and follow through on policy decisions and direction.
Experience: Seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in the recreation facilities management field, three years of which were in a supervisory or executive capacity. Note: The term "executive" is further defined as a high echelon or high level position in an organization that is assigned technical research, management advisory services responsibilities, or policy-making duties and responsibilities that exerts considerable influence on organizational policy, plans, and operations through technical research, management advisory services, and/or policy-making duties and responsibilities (e.g., County positions at Grade 30 or above).
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
Click “Search Jobs" and see the full job description under the “Managerial Executive" Job Category. Interested candidates must create an account in order to submit a resume.
The requisition number is IRC38007
This Recruitment closes June 25, 2019.
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the *Helpful Hints when Applying for Jobs* on the Office of Human Resource’s “Apply Now” webpage for important information about the County’s application requirements and process.