SUMMARY: Provides editorial support essential to the production of AMERICA’S 1ST FREEDOM magazine, print and digital editions, as well as the common pages of the Official Journals, in an efficient and punctual manner. Writes, edits and posts articles via the CMS to the americas1stfreedom.org website.
1. Handles editorial preparation and production of weekly and/or monthly content as assigned, including reviewing manuscripts, copy-editing, assembling photo packages, writing captions and headlines and proofreading. Assists in proofing AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM monthly FPO and blueline.
2. Responsible for proofing and circulating text and layouts for AMERICA’S 1ST FREEDOM to appropriate parties.
3. Reviews proof book and weblink enhancements for the digital edition.
4. Compiles and produces the monthly “Armed Citizen” column published in NRA Publications Official Journals.
5. Assists in coordinating and producing the monthly Official Journal material published in NRA Publications Official Journals. Assists in searching for and obtaining appropriate images for Official Journal pages.
6. Assists coordination of the proofing schedule for the Official Journal Committee, notifies committee members when new proofs are ready for review, and implements committee members’ revisions to InDesign file.
7. Processes AMERICA’S 1ST FREEDOM “Letters to the Editor,” replies as applicable and selects letters to be published or routed as appropriate.
8. Writes articles for publication in the Official Journals at the direction of the Managing Editor, Editor in Chief and Editorial Director.
9. Writes, edits and posts articles via the CMS to the americas1stfreedom.org website. Inserts SEO keywords and other essential metadata to web posts.
10. Assists in posting to AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM Facebook and Twitter accounts at the direction of the Managing Editor and Editor in Chief.
11. Monitors AMERICA’S 1ST FREEDOM’s e-mail address, responds or routes as appropriate.
12. Communicates by mail and telephone with NRA members, writers, photographers, suppliers and representatives of the shooting and hunting industry.
13. Compiles annual index of AMERICA’S 1ST FREEDOM and maintains a searchable database of articles via keywords.
16. Extended hours required; travel required.
SCOPE: Coordinates with, ILA Research &Information staff, all departments of Publications and other NRA divisions. Frequent contact with NRA members, writers, photographers, suppliers and representatives of the shooting industry.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Journalism or Communications. One to two years’ experience on a media editorial staff preferred, but exceptional recent college graduate acceptable. One to two years experience as an administrative assistant, preferably in publishing field. Shooting experience and/or knowledge desired, with a general interest in firearms. Working knowledge of Second Amendment issues.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: In-depth knowledge of grammar and punctuation rules. Ability to edit and proofread effectively. Attention to detail and organization mandatory. Ability to write clearly and concisely; organize and prioritize; work under pressure and meet deadlines; and carry several projects through to completion simultaneously. Knowledge of basic photography necessary. General firearm knowledge and familiarization with firearms required. Working knowledge of word processing, electronic publishing and digital content management systems required. Ability to deal effectively and harmoniously with other employees, NRA members, subscribers and a wide spectrum of outside suppliers. In-depth, hands-on experience with computer equipment, computer networks, databases, standard office software packages, particularly Word, Adobe Acrobat and Adobe InDesign, and standard office equipment.
To apply, send resume with cover letter stating salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package.