SUMMARY: Provides administrative and editorial support essential to the production of AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM magazine, print and digital editions, as well as the Official Journal pages of the magazines, plus digital content published on americas1stfreedom.org, in an efficient and punctual manner.
1. Responsible for the smooth and efficient operation of the administrative and secretarial functions of AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM, americas1stfreedom.org and the Official Journal pages.
2. Assists in for proofing and circulating text and layouts for AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM to appropriate parties, implementing revisions, as directed by the Managing Editor. Assists in proofing AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM monthly FPO and blueline.
3. Responsible for reviewing proof book and weblink enhancements for the digital edition, and making note of any problem areas for Managing Editor to address.
4. As directed by the Managing Editor, contacts freelance photographers by phone and relays photo needs. Assists the Managing Editor in determining which photographers to contact for specific subject needs.
5. Manages document and correspondence flow through editorial department, and maintenance of correspondence files.
6. Manages the monthly breakdown of story files for AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM and Official Journal pages.
7. Performs proofreading of copy, copy editing and proof correction of electronic files at Managing Editor’s direction.
8. Assists coordination of the proofing schedule for the Official Journal Committee, notifies committee members when new proofs are ready for review, and implements committee members’ revisions to InDesign file at Managing Editor’s direction.
9. Processes AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM’s "Letters to the Editor,” replies as applicable and selects letters to be published and routed.
10. Writes short, non-technical articles for publication in the Official Journals at the direction of the Managing Editor or the Editor in Chief.
11. On a daily basis, monitors AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM’s e-mail address, routing messages to appropriate individuals for processing and response.
12. Communicates by mail and telephone with NRA members, writers, photographers, suppliers and representatives of the shooting industry.
13. Compiles annual index of the magazine.
14. Prepares presentations for the editorial staff, as assigned.
15. Subsequent to approval of the Executive Director, Publications, handles all travel for A1F editorial staff.
16. Prepares expense reports for A1F editorial staff.
17. Extended hours required.
SCOPE: Daily coordination with Managing Editor of AMERICA’S 1st FREEDOM; also coordinates with all departments of Publications and other NRA divisions. Frequent contact with NRA members, writers, photographers, suppliers and representatives of the shooting industry.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High school graduate. Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience, preferred. Three to five years experience as an administrative assistant or administrative secretary, preferably in publishing field. Editing and proofreading experience desired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: Effective administrative, secretarial and organizational skills. Attention to detail and organization mandatory. Ability to deal effectively and harmoniously with other employees, NRA members, subscribers and a wide spectrum of outside suppliers. Ability to type 70-80 wpm with accuracy. Ability to handle several projects simultaneously with minimum supervision, and meet strict deadlines. In-depth, hands-on experience with standard office equipment, computer equipment, computer networks, databases, standard office software packages, particularly Adobe Acrobat and Adobe InDesign.
To apply, send resume with cover letter to email@example.com. The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package.