The Mechanic II is responsible for maintaining school buses, cars, trucks, and all other fleet equipment operated by LCPS and Loudoun County Government light duty fleet.The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate:
• Performs preventative maintenance, state and safety inspections of school buses, cars, trucks, and other
equipment requiring inspections.
• Performs drive line, engine, transmission, rear end, electrical systems, heating and air conditioning,
automotive computerized electronics, and diesel and gas engine diagnostics and repair to automotive and
• Installs, checks, and repairs special equipment such as wheel chair lifts, emergency equipment light bars,
seat belts and restraints, and other special equipment common to school bus, police, and fire and rescue
• Operates specialized equipment common to the automotive repair industry including spin balancers,
electronic test equipment, brake drum lathes, and fork lift trucks.
• Oversees automotive services technicians and service workers in accomplishing job specific duties.
• Performs other related work such as tire changing and repair, shop clean up, road calls general shop
• Records notes and documents work performed using web-based fleet maintenance software.
• High School diploma or GED
• Five years of experience at the journeyman level of automotive repair
• Two years of diesel experience at journeyman level of repair
• Ability to operate forklifts, tire trucks, electric welders, acetylene torch, and other equipment being repaired within three months of employment
• Possess a Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License and Virginia Certified Vehicle Inspector License, or the ability to obtain both within 6 months of employment as directed by management
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking. expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently standing, sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. May occasionally be exposed to extreme temperatures or other inclement weather, and loud noises. Work includes exposure to battery acid; flammable liquids such as gasoline,
diesel fuel, cleaning fluids; and high-speed metal grinding machines.