Graphic Designer (Assistant Art Director)
SUMMARY: Responsible for the innovative and imaginative creation and production of the graphic content of America’s First Freedom magazine and assists with other collateral projects as assigned by the Creative Director. Must be in concert with and supportive of the mission of the NRA
l. Responsible for the layout and design of America’s First Freedom pages in conformance with editorial and graphic design policies.
2. Responsible for layout and digital page production using graphic art computers and related publishing software programs.
3. Creates and executes original concepts America’s First Freedom covers and feature articles. Creates original graphics, tables, charts, logos and headline typography to illustrate feature layouts, including special computer-generated effects. Produces technical artwork, computer-generated line illustrations and diagrams.
4. Works closely with Creative Director and America’s First Freedom editorial staff. Works with photography staff in the design, production and execution of studio photo set-ups.
5. Manages America’s First Freedom network magazine files, and maintains digital archives.
6. Traffics artwork, photography, page proofs and all electronic media for America’s First Freedom. Maintains in-house art and current issue working files.
7. Ability to review and select from photo submissions.
8. Handles special projects as assigned by the Creative Director.
SCOPE: Primary coordination occurs with the Creative Director. Also, coordinates with Editors, and Publishing Director and Production Manager. Occasional contact with vendors and other NRA divisions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor of Arts in editorial or advertising design, or relevant work experience with strong emphasis on digital magazines and electronic publishing. Three to five years’ experience in publication and in-house advertising design and layout.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: Ability to handle type specifications, perform copy fitting, publications layout, electronic page makeup, and produce graphics and technical illustrations. Working knowledge and experience with electronic publishing systems and related software programs mandatory. Photo editing and basic knowledge of color photography necessary. Ability to conceive and execute interactive digital enhancements, layout of print and digital publications using the full range of software tools, manage navigation structure, and produce interactive graphics and technical illustrations. Initiative, creativity and problem solving skills necessary. Knowledge of digital publishing systems and related software programs necessary. Ability to design and execute studio photo setups. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, work under pressure and meet strict deadlines. Attention to detail mandatory; must be well organized. Ability to work without supervision. Knowledge of firearms and shooting sports desired.
To apply, send resume with salary expectations (required) and electronic link(s) to portfolio to email@example.com. The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package.