Bergeson & Campbell, P.C. (B&C®) and its consulting affiliate, The Acta Group (Acta®), are seeking a full time paralegal/legal editor to undertake both legal editing and traditional paralegal tasks. This position will be a full-time position in our Washington, D.C. office.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years of administrative law practice experience, preferably in legal areas relevant to our practice, which is chemical law, science, and policy. In addition, candidates must have superior attention to detail, the ability independently to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment, the ability to work with a wide range of constituencies, excellent organizational and research skills, a receptivity to technical writing and chemical terms, and prior proofreading and formatting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Proven proofreading, formatting, cite checking, and blue booking skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including for blog posts and memoranda on regulatory issues;
- Capable legal research skills, including in use of legal electronic databases; and
- Experience with document/information retrieval from and filing with federal agencies (i.e., the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA), and the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), among others).
- Familiarity with the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act (FFDCA), the European Union’s (EU) Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) regulation, or other federal and/or environmental regulations;
- Experience with social media, marketing, e-mail communication software, and/or graphic design; and
- Experience with submittal of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
B&C is a law firm focusing on conventional, biobased, and nanoscale industrial, agricultural, and specialty chemical product approval and regulation, product defense, and associated business issues. Acta, B&C's scientific and regulatory consulting arm with offices in Washington D.C.; Manchester, England; Brussels, Belgium; and Beijing, China, provides strategic, comprehensive support for global chemical registration, regulation, and sustained compliance. We help companies that make and use chemicals and products with chemical components commercialize their innovations, maintain compliance, and achieve competitive advantage as they market their products throughout the world. Much more information is available on our websites: www.lawbc.com and www.actagroup.com.
We provide a competitive salary and full range of benefits, including 401K and other pretax benefits in a cafeteria plan, including up to one telework day per week after an established period. B&C is located in downtown D.C. and convenient to Metro.
We hire professionals who are passionate about what we do and how we serve our clients. We understand that to be the best we must hire the best and remove all obstacles to success. Our philosophy is to offer salary and benefits to ensure you need only worry about the important work for our clients.
B&C is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applicants from members of historically underrepresented communities. All aspects of employment, including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Your submission must include a resume and cover letter with:
- Salary requirements;
- An explanation relating your experience to the job requirements; and
- Two writing samples.