Director of Analytics and Business Intelligence
Position Number FA0310
Anticipated Hiring Range Salary is commensurate with experience.
Position FLSA Exempt
Organizational Objective / Goal
The Director of Analytics and Business Intelligence will work with key stakeholders to create solutions to help university leadership make informed, data driven decisions that support the university’s mission and strategic vision. This position manages business intelligence and predictive analytics projects, self-service reporting, relational and dimensional data design, and data governance and quality. The individual will serve as a subject matter expert and provide hands-on maintenance and enhancement of the BI reporting infrastructure.
General Description of Position
This is a director position reporting to the Associate Provost in the Office of Institutional Analysis and Effectiveness. This position manages interactions with campus partners across the university related to business intelligence initiatives, including business needs assessment, prioritization of activities, and change management. The position requires someone skilled in understanding and interpreting the information needs of a broad group of campus stakeholders, including senior leadership across multiple staff and academic units. Lead and/or support efforts across the university to share data, integrate disparate systems, maintain and refine systems, and train staff and faculty on how to utilize data and information appropriately. The person will work collaboratively with the Director of Institutional Research, IT Enterprise Application Systems, university administrators, data stewards and the Information Security Officer to ensure compliance with data security and privacy mandates.
Expand the capabilities of BI technologies that deliver enterprise-wide reporting. Manage existing methods for retrieval of data used for improved decision-making. Develop new reports, dashboards, data mining techniques, data storage, and data gathering mechanisms for solutions that span all university business areas. Additional responsibilities include end-to-end data lifecycle management activities, evaluating and recommending new and emerging data management and storage technologies and standards, and ensuring consistency between data management, enterprise storage and all other technical system components. The position should have a solid technical background in data warehousing and business intelligence applications.
Required KSAs / Competencies / Qualifications to successfully perform their work
• Collaborate with key functional stakeholders to better understand their business area, processes and data needs
• Work with management to prioritize university data information solutions and establish timelines
• Manage and develop BI solutions throughout the project lifecycle (design, implementation, analysis, operational support)
• Provide guidance and mentoring for the campus BI Community. Works to influence others within and outside of the job function regarding policies, standards, data stewardship, and processes
• Manage data warehouse and data mart lifecycle stages. Demonstrate understanding of data warehousing design, building, metadata, and data sources in a multiple-platform environment
• Design ETL processes and have experience with ETL tools
• Develop visually informative dashboards and customized reports satisfying business requirements.
• Proactively monitor system performance to ensure changes are successful and continue to be relevant
• Recommends and documents standards and best practices in change management and development life cycles
• Research new technologies and industry trends, and determine applicability to our campus environment
• Works with the Information Security Officer to ensure data security and privacy
• Adopts cloud computing technologies, infrastructures, and applications to meet the University’s needs and requirements
• Ensures cloud technologies are fully integrated into the University’s infrastructure Required Education Bachelor’s degree in management information systems, computer science, engineering, or related field, or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience. Required Experience • Three to five years experience in enterprise information technology applications – both development and systems administration
• Three to five years experience developing business intelligence solutions including data modeling and database schema experience
• Experience with relational databases such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, or Cloud DBs
• Working proficiency with BI technologies such as MS BI stack including SSIS, SSAS, SSRS or MS Power BI
• Proficient writing SQL queries and performing data investigation
• Experience with contemporary BI Tools (Microsoft, Tableau, and Qlik)
• Highly developed problem solving, troubleshooting and analytical abilities
• Project management, facilitation, time management and organizational skills
• Proven track record in establishing strong customer relationships and delivering customer-focused solutions within a large IT enterprise.
• Persuasive and effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members.
Posting Date 05/10/2019
Close Date 06/07/2019
Additional Applicant Instructions The University of Mary Washington accepts only completed online application and related materials. Faxed, mailed, or emailed applications or documentation will not be considered. Employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of criminal background checks. If accommodations are requested either before or at the time of the interview, please contact the Recruitment Office at 540-654-1238.
AAEEO Statement The University of Mary Washington is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality. Please apply at: https://careers.umw.edu/postings/9035