Director of Communications
Director of Communications
Better Medicare Alliance (BMA), a Washington based non-profit that advocates for Medicare Advantage on behalf of a coalition of stakeholder organizations and beneficiaries, is seeking a Director of Communications to lead the communications function of the organization. The Director of Communications will work closely with the President & CEO and Chief of Staff to develop and implement annual strategic plans for communications that advance understanding and support for Medicare Advantage.
The Director of Communications will engage directly with members of the media, consultants, and staff of various stakeholder groups and policymakers on a proactive communications and media relations strategy aimed at enhancing the understanding of Medicare Advantage and building BMA’s visibility, credibility, and reputation. She/he will be responsible for all communications activities, from press statements, and social media, to promotion of the organization’s materials and planning and overseeing public-facing events, including the annual BMA Medicare Advantage Summit.
- Develops and executes organization’s communications plans and a wide range of strategic communications campaigns around BMA’s health policy issues for multiple audiences.
- Manages a communications team and consultants.
- Communicates directly with media and key communications officials and stakeholders, proactively and reactively.
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant reporters and members of the media.
- Supports BMA staff in advancing and amplifying their work through design, promotion, and other tactics.
- Develop and manage public media events, including managing the President & CEO’s speaking engagements.
- Prepares well-written, timely deliverables, including press statements/releases, op-eds, blogs, and speeches.
- Proactively enhances BMA brand reputation and leadership profile, managing the rollout of public-facing materials, including blog posts, policy briefs, research reports, e-newsletters and other communication tools.
- Manages design, content, posting and updating of BMA websites, with the support of consultants.
- Develops and manages the BMA Medicare Advantage Summit, including but not limited to the planning, production, agenda, speakers, and paid sponsorship with the support of consultants.
- Keeps President & CEO and all of BMA staff current on public information, press activities and current trends on Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
- Develops and manages large and small-scale strategic media campaigns and projects that require coordination across internal and external teams.
- Provides communications support for advocacy efforts.
- 4-7 years of Capitol Hill, political campaign, trade association, communications, consulting, legislative and/or health care alliance management experience.
- B.A./B.S. required. Master’s degree desirable.
- Understanding of media cycles, ability to effectively use media data, and ability to build relationships with media outlets.
- Background in health policy issues, including a basic understanding of Medicare Advantage.
- Proven track record designing and executing advocacy and media campaigns, including working with and through agencies or consultants.
- Experience with social media and digital communications.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including an ability to explain complex issues.
- Collaborative, team player, with the ability to work independently, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Able to write creatively and strategically.
- Independent, self-starter with collaborative insights.
BMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please send resume, references, and applicable writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.