1 day left
- Full Time
SUMMARY: Assists with the management of and provides editorial support essential to the daily operation of AMERICAN HUNTER and AmericanHunter.org, ensuring all work satisfies established quality standards and policies, and meets production deadlines.
1. Responsible for preparation and production of monthly editorial features and departments, including editing of manuscripts, as determined and assigned.
2. Writes feature articles and departments as assigned. Writes headlines, subheads and captions for feature stories and department material.
3. Proofreads all copy during various stages of production.
4. Produces photographs on assignment as required.
5. Coordinates with Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor in the solicitation, review and acceptance or rejection of manuscripts and photographs.
6. Contributes, as determined and assigned, to content creation and postings to AmericanHunter.org.
7. Corresponds by mail, telephone and e-mail with NRA members, writers, photographers, advertising representatives and shooting sports companies.
8. Along with Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor, assists in the supervision and training of Associate Editor and Assistant Editor positions, AMERICAN HUNTER, and monitors performance of the positions.
9. Advises Editor-in-Chief of problems resulting from editorial policies or procedures and recommends changes accordingly.
10. Tests and reviews firearms and accessories as necessary.
11. Travels as assigned; extended hours as required.
SCOPE: Coordinates primarily with editorial and design staffs of AMERICAN HUNTER, as well as Photography, and Production & Advertising Operations staffs. Coordinates with other departments within the Publications Division and other NRA divisions. Frequent contact with members, government agencies, firearm industry and shooting sports organizations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor of Arts degree in English or Journalism required, or equivalent experience. Minimum one year’s experience in managerial level journalism, making editorial coverage decisions and assignments. Working knowledge of the shooting and hunting industry, and Second Amendment issues necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: Effective managerial, editorial and supervisory skills necessary. Ability to write clearly and concisely. Knowledge of magazine design and production. Skilled photographer and knowledgeable in photo reproduction. Working knowledge of word processing software packages and electronic publishing necessary. Working knowledge of website content management systems, search engine optimization practices and social media necessary. Ability to determine technical accuracy and content of manuscript and photos. Ability to foster and maintain cooperation and coordination with all department personnel in producing the magazine. Ability to work without supervision and under pressure, meet strict deadlines, make rapid, accurate decisions, and supervise several projects simultaneously. Attention to detail and organization essential.
The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (minority/women/disabled) offering an extensive benefits package. To apply, send resume with cover letter stating salary expectations to email@example.com
Apply for Managing Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly