The Council of Independent Colleges (CIC) seeks a versatile and creative Publications Manager/Designer to create powerful messages through clear and compelling design. The position is part of a team that creates print and digital reports, data visualizations, graphics, marketing materials, and event branding. The Publication Manager/Designer’s primary responsibilities include layout and production of print publications, as well as print publication project management. The Publications Manager/Designer may, as needed, support the Director of Digital Communications and Strategy with web design and conference technology development. The position reports to the Vice President for Communications and interacts closely with the Director of Digital Communications and Strategy and the Editorial and Communications Director.
CIC is the major national service organization for small and mid-sized independent liberal arts colleges and universities in the U.S. Currently, 684 colleges and universities and 82 organizations are members. CIC’s 26-person staff, based in Washington, DC, serves member institutions through conferences, projects and programs, research and advocacy, and other activities designed to assist member institutions. The communications team supports all these areas of activity with both print and digital publications and communications.
- Carry through design projects from concept to completion (and all of the steps in between, including rounds of review and revision, cost estimation, budgeting, project delivery, and invoicing.)
- Design and lay out reports and other publications, often including photos, illustrations, charts, or similar features.
- Work with report authors and CIC’s research staff to create clear and effective charts, graphs, and other data visualizations from complex data.
- Design branding for programs and events, including signage and occasionally objects such as folders, gifts, or awards.
- Select print vendors and work with them to produce materials in a timely fashion.
- Select and manage relationships with external designers on occasional projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related major.
- At least three years of professional design experience in an office setting.
- A strong portfolio of design work.
- Experience in prepress file preparation, digital and offset printing, and paper selection.
- Experience with the latest versions of Adobe Creative Cloud in a PC environment, especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Bridge, as well as with the Microsoft Office suite.
- Familiarity with project management systems such as Teamwork or Basecamp.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Creative, versatile, and flexible.
- Strong teamwork and service orientation.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of and commitment to CIC’s organizational mission and goals.
- Some overnight travel required.
- Knowledge of 508 compliance.
- Performing the duties of this position regularly requires the employee to talk and hear, sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time and be able to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Additional experience and proficiency with the following is desirable but not required:
- Advanced data visualization skills
- Photography/photo editing; experience with event photography.
- Work experience in a non-profit or educational organization.
- Experience managing image databases.
- Experience with project budgeting and cost estimation.
The position is available immediately. To apply, send by email a letter of interest with resume, salary requirements, contact information for at least two references, and a portfolio sample to: PublicationsManagerDesigner@cic.nche.edu. Review of applications will begin right away. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential. No references will be contacted without prior authorization by a candidate.
CIC is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation and generous
benefits. For more information about CIC and its programs and services, please visit