Senior Manager, Strategic Communications
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking a Senior Manager, Strategic Communications to help increase the visibility of The Chronicle of Higher Education’s and The Chronicle of Philanthropy’s brands, products, editorial coverage, and executive leadership within the higher education, non-profit, and publishing communities.
The Senior Manager of Strategic Communications, in close collaboration with the Managing Director of Marketing and senior business and editorial leadership, is responsible for developing and executing a robust and multi-faced external communications program. This position is also responsible for corporate and internal communications efforts.
- Work with key business and editorial stakeholders to build and execute an annual strategic communications plan that drives awareness of The Chronicle’s brands, editorial coverage, and expertise in covering the higher education and non-profit sectors.
- Manage all outbound media relations activities for The Chronicle, proactively placing editorial coverage and company news in trade and mainstream media.
- Build and execute newsroom subject matter expertise program, identifying and growing key talent as necessary.
- Use live events, panels, and social media channels such as Facebook Live to build visibility and thought leadership of key newsroom staff on specific topics.
- Act as primary contact for all incoming press calls into each of The Chronicle’s newsrooms.
- Promote Chronicle coverage in higher-ed and non-profit social media channels to amplify footprint with media, academic, and industry stakeholders.
- Oversee all public relations operations, including media list management and the tracking and reporting of mainstream, trade, and social media placements to measure the impact of PR activities on our brands, audiences, and revenues.
- Identify and process submissions for higher education, non-profit, and publishing awards in order to create positive press for The Chronicle.
- Manage editorial and executive speaker or panel engagements at industry conferences.
- Manage and continuously improve company crisis communications plan.
- Execute corporate communication programs to promote Chronicle products, highlight key partnerships, and announce important company news.
- Build and execute annual internal communications plan, processes, and calendar to drive internal staff cohesion and awareness.
- Partner with senior company leadership to ensure the clarity and effectiveness of company-wide internal communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, journalism or equivalent field of study preferred
- 8-10 years of experience in media relations, preferably with experience working directly with a newsroom in a publishing or media organization
- Passion for and knowledge of the higher education and non-profit sectors with recent relevant job experience and contacts
- Ability to develop and edit high quality written materials, including press materials, fact sheets, and talking points
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with external media contacts, reporters, and senior executives
- Past experience growing the visibility of company executives and thought-leaders in mainstream and trade media outlets
- Proven ability to excel in a fast-paced, changing environment, working independently and collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Extensive knowledge of digital marketing and social media platforms
- Superior writing, research, presentation, and project management skills
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Strategic Communications” in the subject heading.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. Our salaries are competitive, and we offer excellent benefits, such as comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance, tuition reimbursement and 5 weeks of paid vacation.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.