Biologist GS-0401-11/12, Direct Hire - LS
Occasional travel - 4 nights per month
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
This vacancy is limited to the first 50 applications received and will close at midnight Eastern Time on the day this application limit is reached regardless of the closing date specified in this vacancy announcement. Any application received prior to midnight Eastern Time of the day the application limit is reached will be accepted and considered. You are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application should the vacancy close earlier than stated in this announcement due to the applicant limit being reached. Supporting documents will not be accepted once the vacancy announcement closes.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- You will be required to operate a government-owned or leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements: 1. Possession of a valid State driver’s license, and 2. Possess a safe driving record. If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State License and a copy of your driving record.
- The candidate selected must obtain a favorable medical exam at federal expense.
Applicants must meet A or B below to satisfy the basic education requirement for Biologist, all grade levels.
A. Degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. *OR*
B. Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above (24 semester hours or the equivalent in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position), plus appropriate experience and/or additional education for a total of 4 years. The education or combined education and experience must be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to that acquired through successful completion of a 4-year course of study as described in "A" above.
In addition to the basic education requirements as stated above, applicants must have three full years of progressively higher level graduate level education **OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. **OR One year of specialized experience at or equal to the next lower grade level.
Examples of experience at the GS-09 level work may include: 1) participation in the planning and execution of biological studies with limited number of variables; 2) performing established, standardized tests and analyses on a broad range of biological samples; 3) conducting biological studies using established fact finding procedures. For examples 1-3, assignments were made with the objectives, priorities, and deadlines defined. The work was planned and carried out independently in accordance with proven techniques, methods, and practices. Controversial use of approaches or modifications of standard procedures were typically discussed with a designated person before being carried out.
In addition to the basic education requirements as stated above, applicants must have one year of specialized experience at or equal to the next lower grade level.
Examples of experience at the GS-11 level may include: 1) independently planning and conducting comprehensive biological studies and investigations; 2) modifying and adapting standard biological techniques, processes, and procedures; 3) serving as a technical resource on biological issues. For examples 1-3, the assignments were planned and carried out independently, resolving most of the conflicts that arose, coordinating the work with others as necessary, relating new work situations to precedent ones, extending or modifying existing techniques, and interpreting and applying program policy in terms of established objectives.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/how-foreign-education-evaluated-federal-jobs .
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
- Identification of promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. Promotion will depend upon administrative approval and the continuing need for and performance of higher-level duties.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
--Basis of Rating: The government-wide direct hire authority for Biologist is being used to fill this position. All applicants who meet the eligibility requirements and minimum qualification requirements will be referred for consideration.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No