HVAC Chief # 124909
The Universities at Shady Grove
Provide technical supervision of daily operations and maintenance of Universities at Shady Grove for Building’s 1,2,3,4 (approx. 540,000 Sq. ft.) and (1) 5 story 700 car parking spaces, (1) 6 story 600 car parking garages on Gudelsky Dr. Supervise tasks, Facilities personnel and contractors for the purposes of maintaining and operating safe and productive work, laboratory and classroom environments. Supports the overall goals and objectives of the facilities department. Keeps the Facilities Manager informed of all current building operational status and scheduling of maintenance and/or outages.
High School Diploma or GED AND Ten year’s progressively responsible experience in any combination of air conditioning, refrigeration, temperature control, steam fitting, stationary engineering, plumbing or heating trades. Two years of this experience must have included the supervision of journey level mechanics in these trades. (2) Non-supervisory option: Supervisory experience not required.
Additional Certifications Required:
- Currently holds a MD HVAC journeyman or higher level license
- CFC (Universal) Certification
- Must possess and maintain a valid Maryland Class C Driver’s license or equivalent with fewer than 6 points
- Five (5) years of experience in a lead or supervisory capacity
- Experience in a Facilities maintenance, multi facility environment desired
- Advanced operating experience with the Siemens Apogee Building Automation System/Advantage Navigator/Desigo Lab Controls
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles of air conditioning and refrigeration; of the practices and techniques used in the installation, repair and maintenance of HVAC equipment and systems; of the refrigerant types, environmental impact, and gas reclamation procedures and equipment
- Expert knowledge of building mechanical systems (design, operations and repairs) required. Broad knowledge of building construction and trades including but not limited to HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Emergency Generators, elevators, life safety
- (A PLUS) Experience in laboratory environments involving maintaining and repairing mechanical, laboratory gas and water filtration, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems associated with autoclaves, glass washers, environmental chambers, ultra-cold freezers, bio-safety cabinets, fume hoods and other equipment used for the purposes of maintaining laboratory services
- Ability to interpret and evaluate blueprints, diagrams, schematics and engineering specifications. Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, email, internal work management system) and strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Strong Leadership and supervisory skills required. Superior problem solving and customer service skills required. Position requires extensive interaction with faculty and technical staff, regulatory and inspection personnel, contractors, consultants and other University personnel
Work is performed in both an office environment and in the field. Incumbent will be required to perform hands-on tasks as well as to inspect the work of others, which will require the ability to work in hazardous or irritating environments, including confined spaces, lifting, bending, stooping, working at heights, and in adverse conditions. Incumbent must be able to wear and work in personal protective equipment, including safety footwear that is provided by the University. This position is considered “Essential Personnel” subject to 24-hour 7 days/week span of operations. Work is generally performed during normal working hours however it is expected that those in this position work whenever necessary to ensure the facility is running safety and efficiently at all times. After hours emergency calls are expected. Evening shift. Flexible work.
This position is located in Rockville, MD.
Benefits Offered: The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 11 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days Sick Leave, 3 Personal Days, 15 Holidays; Tuition Remission; Health, Dental, Vision and Prescription Coverage. Candidates must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the USA. No H1-B visa sponsorship is offered for this position.
To apply, please visit https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/69882